Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

I have a female cat that needs some help. She has a damaged

Customer Question
nerve in her lower spine...
I have a female cat that needs some help. She has a damaged nerve in her lower spine that has made her tail "dead" and paralyzed. This makes her prone to UTI/Bladder infections/FLOTD. She refuses to eat wet food, and only like a little sardines (1/4 or less of one, which is not enough) and hates pumpkin, tuna and salmon. Yes, she's difficult! When she gets constipated I use a pill injector to give her pumpkin and powdered fiber stuff and/or a fleet child's enema. This all works well. But today she is not constipated - she is pooping a lot (she cannot "push" to poop, it can only fall out so it is surprising how much she is pooping) - but she is pooping all outside the box and dripping bloody urine everywhere. To be expected, she is completely avoiding the litter box and going in the bathroom on the rug. She is not in pain and is eating so I don't think she has crystis (? crystal blocks). I am dead broke and since she has periodic episodes I cannot afford urinalysis (and yes, I've checked for low fee options, there are none). I am sure she has a UTI or bladder infection. I have antibiotics that are safe for cats. Not sure if I should try to give her antibiotics or an enema (cuz maybe the enema will push things along...?)
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
7/3/2015
Cat Vet: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I don't see a need for an enema as she's "pooping a lot" already in an automatic fashion. She does need an antibiotic for what is likely to be a chronic UTI due to incontinence. Please tell me which antibiotic you have for you and I'll give you a recommended dose for it.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian