Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My cat seems to be coughing and at rest his breathing seems

Customer Question
labored...
My cat seems to be coughing and at rest his breathing seems labored
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
6/28/2015
Cat Vet: petdrz, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
petdrz
petdrz, Cat Veterinarian
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you. How long has this been going on? Is he breathing with his mouth open?
A few days
No mouth breathing
Has not coughed anything up
Seems to back up when the coughing occurs
When a cat is coughing, it is usually a sign of cardiac or pulmonary disease and may or may not be severe. When due to cardiac disease, they are usually experience more distress. Being that Duma is a younger cat, I would be more worried about a bronchitis or even asthma. If this has been going on for a few days, and he is not improving, it iwould be best to have him examined by your veterinarian, so that they can better evaluate his heart and lungs. Depending on what that sounds like, they may even want to have a chest xray done.
Thanks :)
He seems to a bit worse today than yesterday
He is still eating and playing but seems a little off
Is it ok for me to wait until tomorrow morning to have him seen?
Here is a link with more information about asthma in cats. LINK HERE
It is hard to say if it would be ok to wait until tomorrow, but if he is still eating and playing, he can't be in too much distress.
Thank you
I did not know cats could have asthma!
He is an indoor cat so I can keep an eye on him🐱
If waiting, definitely keep a close eye on him today and if he starts not wanting to participate in his normal activities, you may want to have him seen sooner.
I will be online all day today, so if anything changes, feel free to reply back.Is there anything else I can help you with today?
No ,thank you so much!
We love our Kitty and if something changes I will get in touch ;))
Great! Good luck with him.
Thank you🐱
Good morning. I was just checking in to see if Duma was doing any better today?
Thanks
About the same
Took him to the vet and they did x Rays
I guess we will wait and see
Glad to hear that you were able to get him in. Hopefully he will be feeling better soon. Thanks for the update. There is no need to respond back now as when you do, it calls me back to this post and prevents me from answering others until I respond to you. But if do have anything else that I can help you with, please return back here to do so and I will be alerted.
Thank you very much!
You are most welcome. Please do not respond back now. Until you provide a rating, every response you make will lock me out of being able to answer others until I respond to you.
petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Cat Veterinarian