Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Our cat is indoor/outdoor. We just noticed today extreme head-tilting…

Customer Question
our cat is indoor/outdoor....
our cat is indoor/outdoor. We just noticed today extreme head-tilting favoring the left ear. he will not allow my wife to examine that ear.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat
6/28/2015
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 3 years ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Hello, and welcome!
My name is ***** ***** I will be glad to be of help to you and Khan today.
I'm so sorry his left ear is bothering him and he has a head tilt on that side. It's possible he could have an ear infection, a vestibular problem, ear mites, or if he spends time outside, he could have a foreign object stuck in his ear. Here is more information:
http://www.petplace.com/article/cats/diseases-conditions-of-cats/symptoms/head-tilt--in-cats-vestibular-signs
It would be advisable to have him evaluated in person by a vet, so you can get a definite diagnosis and treatment, if needed, especially if he won't allow examination of that ear by you or your wife.
I hope all will be well with Khan, and please let me know how he's doing and what the vet tells you. Thanks!
Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback and if you have any additional questions, just click Reply and I will always be here for you and Khan. Rating will not cut off our ability to communicate. This question will always be open for you to reply to me.
Warmest wishes,
Cher
we finally were able to hold him down long enough for my wife to examine his ear. There did not appear to be any foreign object in his ear and his left ear was clean. my wife did not see any puss or signs of infection in the ear.
Hi again, and thanks for your update on Khan.
I'm glad you were able to hold him long enough to look in his ear. If he has an inner or middle ear infection, it's not able to be seen with the naked eye by a cat parent. The vet needs to use an otoscope to look in the ear, because the cat's ear canal is 'L' shaped, so you can't see around the corner of the 'L' to the inner ear, without the instrument.
He could also have vestibular syndrome which is sometimes accompanied by an ear infection. The vestibular system controls equilibrium/balance and the head tilt may be a symptom of this. I included information in the link I sent in my previous answer, for you to read more about it.
A head tilt can also be caused by a stroke or brain tumor, but these are usually conditions that affect older cats.
Try to get him evaluated by the vet in person and you will find out more.
Warmest wishes,
Cher
Hi Dale Speelman,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Cher
He seems to be alright. For some reason, he no longer displays the symptoms I previously reported.
Hi again, and thanks so much for your positive update on Khan!
I'm very glad he's no longer exhibiting the symptoms you described. It's possible that he had a foreign object deep inside his ear and he was able to dislodge on his own, or that he had a vestibular problem which was temporary and resolved by itself. In any case, It's great to hear that he is acting normally now and his symptoms have resolved! : )
I hope all will continue to be well with Khan!
Please kindly rate my answer with positive feedback so I am recognized by the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!
Warmest regards,
Cher