Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

We have a young queen who had 8 kittens 10 days ago. One stillborn,

Customer Question
We have a young queen...
We have a young queen who had 8 kittens 10 days ago. One stillborn, 7 doing well until a couple days ago. Now the mother has become VERY picky and hardly eats or drinks. And she doesn't attend to the kittens like she did the first week. We have started bottle-feeding the babies... what can we do for the mom-cat?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
6/27/2015
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 2 years ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Hello, and welcome!
Thank you very much for requesting me to help with your question about Grace.
Congratulations on your new furry family! : ) I'm sorry you lost one, though.
Does Grace have any swelling, redness, or warmth on the areas around her teats? Do any nipples look cracked, are oozing or bleeding?
Does she have any discharge from her vulva that looks yellowish and creamy or bloody or any color?
Is she licking excessively in her hind area?
Thanks,
Cher
No discharge from vulva or rectum. Feces normal. Not licking that area much.Slight swelling around nipples but there were seven healthy kittens nursing and it looked normal. No hardness or caking.She has become very thin the last couple of days and now hardly eats. I syringe-fed her some high-calorie paste and electrolyte water. She just sniffs at food and takes 1-2 bites. But no dental issues I can see...
Hi again, and thanks for your helpful and detailed reply.
I'm glad everything seems normal, but I was considering either mastitis, which is an inflammation/infection of the mammary glands/tissues and/or pyometra, which is a serious uterine infection.
Another possibility is that she has a retained kitten and this is causing an infection.
Because she has so many kittens to feed, she may not be getting enough calories, so I'm glad you're giving her the high-calorie paste and electrolyte water; however, there's no doubt that she needs to be seen by a vet as soon as possible. I'd bring her to an ER vet center now, if there's one near you. I would also start bottle or dropper feeding the kittens with the KMR until we know what's happening with Grace.
I hope all will be well with Grace and her babies and please keep me posted on how they're doing. Thanks!
Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback and if you have any additional questions, just click Reply and I will always be here for you and Grace. Rating will not cut off our ability to communicate. This question will always be open for you to reply to me.
Warmest wishes,
Cher
Hi again,
I just wanted to add this information about mastitis and pyometra:
http://www.cat-world.com.au/mastitis-in-cats
http://www.cat-world.com.au/pyometra-in-cats
Warmest regards,
Cher
Also, if they are not laying with Grace and she is not cleaning them/stimulating them to eliminate, you will need to use a heating pad set on low, under some towels on one side of a large cardboard box to keep them warm and also after they eat, vigorously rub their genital/anal area with a very warm damp washcloth to stimulate them to eliminate. Here is detailed information about taking care of kittens if the mom cat can't:
http://www.2ndchance.info/orphankitten.htm
This should be temporary until Grace is stronger and able to care for them again.
Hi Nancy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Grace and her babies. How is everything going? Were you able to bring her to a vet for evaluation because she wasn't eating properly and lost interest in caring for the kittens?
Please let me know how things are going now, as I'm concerned for her and the kittens. Thanks!
Please take a moment to rate my answer with positive feedback, so the site recognizes me for my assistance. Thank you very much!
If you have any other questions, please just click 'Reply' and I will be glad to continue to help. Rating will not cut off our communication, so don't worry that if you rate, you will lose touch with me. You can reply to me at any time.
Warmest regards,
Cher
Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist