Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My 15 year old cat just started walking like she's drunk. Should…

Customer Question
My 15 year old cat...
My 15 year old cat just started walking like she's drunk. Should I take her to an emergency vet? thank you!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
6/25/2015
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 2 years ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Hello, and welcome!
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you and your kitty.
From your description of her walking like she's drunk, she could have vestibular syndrome. The vestibular system controls balance/equilibrium and typically a disturbance in the inner ear, like an infection, can trigger vestibular syndrome. It makes your cat feel dizzy and unable to walk straight. Sometimes, this resolves on it's own in a few days, but sometimes it does need vet intervention.
Here is more information:
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/health_information/vestibularsyndrome.cfm
If she spends any time outside, ingesting antifreeze (and other toxic materials) can cause a cat to walk like she's drunk, as well and of course the ingestion of antifreeze can be very dangerous. If she spends no time outside, we don't have to worry about antifreeze, but there are toxic substances she could have gotten into in the house, too. I don't mean to alarm you, just to inform, and try to cover as many possibilities as I can.
Because she's a 'senior' cat, it would be advisable to have her evaluated by an ER vet now, to get a definite diagnosis and have her treated, if necessary.
I hope all will be well with your kitty and please let me know how she's doing and what the vet tells you. Thanks!
Please kindly rate my answer with positive feedback and if you have any additional questions, just click Reply and I will always be here for you and your furry girl. Rating will not cut off our ability to communicate. This question will always be open for you to reply to me.
Warmest wishes,
Cher
Hello again,
I was just checking in with you to see how your cat is doing today.
Were you able to have her evaluated in person by a vet to find the cause of the problem and have her treated? I hope so!
Please post back to let me know how she's doing, because I'm concerned about her. I hope you found my answer helpful and if so, please let me know. If there's anything else I can help you with, just post it here. Thanks!
Warmest wishes,
Cher
Unfortunately I had to put my beloved fur baby to sleep today. She had a stroke.
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this sad news and you have my heartfelt condolences on the loss of your beloved furbaby. Older cats are more prone to strokes. I know what a difficult time this is for you, having gone through it myself, not too long ago.
When you're ready, I hope this pet loss site and poem, will help ease your grief in some small way:
http://rainbowbridge.com/
Scroll down to the bottom right and click on 'The Poem.'
I know you will always keep her in a special place in your heart and just remember all the joy she brought you and you brought her. She knew she was very loved!
Again, my sincerest condolences; my best thoughts and prayers are with you.
Warmest wishes,
Cher

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Cher
Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist