Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Just came home from work and my cat has thrown up and is…

Customer Question
Hi just came home from...
Hi just came home from work and my cat has thrown up and is now lying down under me. he's very quiet which not like him.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
6/24/2015
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 2 years ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hello, Nakia and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you and Sir Winston today.

I'm so sorry to hear he's not feeling well.

Was there anything noticeable in what he threw up? Was it mainly liquid, pieces of undigested food, any foreign looking substance?

Could he have gotten into anything he shouldn't have, in the house, like a plant or flowers, anything stringy like dental floss, sewing thread, fishing line, any human medication or food left out on a counter, etc.?

Does his body feel very warm to the touch? If so, he may have a fever.

You can check his temp with a rectal thermometer or a digital one, if you have one in the house.

What color are his gums?

Have you seen him urinate within the past 12-24 hours?

Was he eating and drinking as usual and active, before you left the house, today?

Thanks for all your additional information.

Warmest wishes,
Cher

Hi again, Nakia.

I was hoping to hear right back from you with some additional information, but I will send my answer now, and if you have any additional questions, just click Reply and I will be glad to continue.

From your description of his symptoms, it does sound like Sir Winston is not feeling like himself and something is going on in his system and/or he is in pain. Cats are very stoic; they don't like to show pain, because it's a sign of weakness.

If he threw up, he might have eaten something he shouldn't have or developed an intestinal viral or bacterial infection. Check his litterbox for any loose or mushy stools. Also, it's very important that you know if he urinated today because male cats are especially prone to urethral blockages which means they have developed a plug made of 'crystals' (tiny, sand-like particles that occur in urine that is not acidic enough) and mucus, that is blocking their urethra and not allowing them to urinate. This is a very dangerous situation which must be diagnosed and treated by the vet immediately. If you see no evidence of urine in his litterbox, bring him to the vet or an ER vet right away for evaluation and treatment. Here is more information on urethral blockages: CLICK

As I mentioned earlier, if his body feels much warmer than usual, he may have a fever, so take his temperature with a regular rectal thermometer or a digital one, and normal for cats is between 100.5 and 102.5. If he has 103 or higher, he has fever. If this is the case, for the moment, apply cool compresses to his belly, under his arms, groin, and paw pads. You can also wipe him down with a cool cloth, but don't let him get a chill. He will need to be seen by the vet to determine the underlying cause of the fever and he will be treated with the most appropriate medication.

Check the color of his gums; if they are pearly pink and moist, that's great. If they are not usually pink, it will be hard to tell, but if they ARE usually pink, but they look pale or whitish and/or are sticky/tacky, not moist, this indicates a problem and dehydration. Another test for dehydration is to pull up on the scruff and then see if it springs down back in place right away. If it takes a few seconds to go back down, he's dehydrated.

If a young, active cat is suddenly quiet and wants to lay under you/near you, plus he vomited, there's not much you can do at home, because you need to find out the cause of his symptoms. Try to have him seen right away by a vet or ER vet center and please let me know how he's doing and what the vet tells you. Thanks!

I hope all will be well with Sir Winston!

Please kindly rate my answer with positive feedback and if you have any additional questions, just click Reply and I will always be here for you and your furry boy. Rating will not cut off our ability to communicate. This question will always be open for you to reply to me.

Warmest wishes,
Cher

Hi again, Nakia.

I'm just checking in with you to see how Sir Winston is doing today. I hope you were able to have him seen by a vet and he's feeling better!

Please let me know how he's feeling, as I'm concerned about him. Thanks!

Warmest regards,
Cher
Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist