Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My cat had a light sedation last night about 7 pm, he is still

Customer Question

My cat had a light sedation last night about 7 pm, he is still sleepy he has eaten soft food but not gone to toilet , is this normal?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and welcome!
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you and Milton today.
What did he need the light sedation for? Did he have a procedure at the vet's office or did you give him the sedation at home? Do you know the name of the medication used for sedation?
When was the last time he ate, before the sedation?
When was the last time he urinated and defecated?
Is he still responsive to you, although he's sleepy? (responds to his name, looks at you, etc.?)
Thanks for all your additional information and after you send your reply, please allow me some time to read through it and send your detailed answer.
Warmest regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He was sedated to be examined at the vets and to have blood taken and teeth looked at because I had noticed he had lost some weight
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He has'nt been to the toilet yet but does responded to me, ate about 4hours before sedation at vets
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your very helpful reply.
Depending on which sedation medication he was given and of what quantity, it might take a little time to wear off. He should probably start becoming more like himself and less sleepy, within 24-48 hours. If he's showing an interest in food (and water?) and is eating and drinking, even if less than usual, this is good, but if there was little in his system before the sedation and he's not eaten or drunk as usual today, we have to wait for him to have something to 'produce.'
If he's still eating and drinking and hasn't been to the toilet for either urination and/or defecation by tomorrow (urination is more important--make sure he's drinking or dropper feed him some water form the side of his mouth), it would be a good idea to give the call a vet to report and discuss this with him/her.
I hope you start seeing some progress with his activity level and toileting, soon and please let me know how he's doing. Thanks!
Please kindly rate my answer with positive feedback and if you have any additional questions, just click Reply and I will always be here for you and Milton. Rating will not cut off our ability to communicate. This question will always be open for you to reply to me.
Warmest wishes,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
I'm just checking in with you to see how Milton is feeling today. I hope he's back to himself!
Please let me know how he's doing, as I'm concerned for him. Thanks!
If you found my answer helpful, please let me know, here. Thank you!
Warmest wishes,
Cher