Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat has an enlarged kidney is breathing heavily and shaking…

Customer Question
My cat has an enlarged...
My cat has an enlarged kidney is breathing heavily and shaking I dunno what to do she also has high temperature
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat
6/20/2015
Cat Vet: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Sasha needs to have her abdomen ultrasounded to better understand why that kidney is enlarged and she's so febrile. The kidney may be cancerous, infected, or both. There may be an obstruction to urine flow from that kidney and the kidney is now hydronephrotic (full of or surrounded by fluid). Her breathing and shaking indicate pain and so such a patient should be hospitalized in the critical care area of the hospital and administered an opiate analgesic in addition to IV fluids and antibiotics until advanced testing can be performed. If the vet is unable to perform an ultrasound and provide adequate care, please consider having a specialist veterinary internist (please see here: www.acvim.org) attend to Sasha. Her current vet can refer you to such a specialist. Can you upload a copy of her test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but her vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.
Hi Rowalla,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sasha. How is everything going?