Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Yes car sick painting did this yeasr ago and they never found

Customer Question

yes car sick painting did this yeasr ago and they never found any thing wrong
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and welcome!
Are you saying that your cat is sick and 'panting' (breathing through her mouth) and she exhibited this symptom years ago, but the vet never found anything wrong at that time?
When did the panting first start, this time?
Does she seem to be laboring to breathe?
How long ago did your cat see the vet for the panting, last time.
Is she eating, drinking and eliminating as usual?
Does she spend any time outdoors? Is it very warm where you live?
Does your kitty have any known medical problems and/or take any medications?
Thanks for all your additional information and after I receive your reply, please allow me some time to read through it and compose/send your detailed answer.
Warmest regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
I was hoping to hear back from you with more information about your kitty, but I will send my answer now, and then if you have any additional questions, please just click Reply and I will be glad to continue.
Due to your cat's senior age and the fact that she's panting and/or laboring to breathe, it would be best to have her seen in person by a vet or ER vet, as soon as possible.
She may have a respiratory infection or condition like bronchitis, pneumonia, asthma, or a punctured lung, chylothorax or pyothorax, which allows fluid to gather between the outside of the lung and chest wall, making it difficult to breathe.
She could also be having a heart problem which is causing her to not be able to take in enough oxygen, so she has to open her mouth to try to get more.
I hope you're able to have her evaluated in person by a vet or ER vet, right away, so you can get a definite diagnosis and treatment, if necessary.
It's also possible, if it's very warm outside and/or in your house, that she is suffering from heatstroke and may be dehydrated. Pull up on the scruff of her neck and see if it bounces right back into place or takes a few seconds to go down. If it doesn't return to position right away, she's dehydrated. You can wipe her down with a damp, cool cloth and encourage her to drink water.
She also may have ingested a toxic substance or non-food item that is causing her distress.
As you can see, there are so many possibilities, it's necessary to have her seen in person.
Please let me know how she's doing and what the vet tells you, after you bring her in. Thanks!
Please kindly rate my answer with positive feedback and if you have any additional questions, just click Reply and I will always be here for you and your furry girl. Rating will not cut off our ability to communicate. This question will always be open for you to reply to me.
Warmest wishes,
Cher