Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Persian cat, was infested with fleas....i cut most of his…

Customer Question
Hi, persian cat, was infested...
Hi, persian cat, was infested with fleas....i cut most of his hair and gave him revolution. He has lost lots of weight and is just curled up all day not wanting to move. What is wrong with my cat please? :(
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat
6/15/2015
Cat Vet: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Hello, my name is***** and i have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Arturito was heavily infested with fleas and has lost a lot of weight and is lethargic in spite of your efforts to treat his fleas with Revolution.
A heavy flea infestation could make a cat very anemic and weak.
However more commonly we see cats get this sick due to blood parasites that the fleas carry and pass in to your kitty when they feed.
The other possibility, especially given that he has lost a significant amount of weight is that he was already sick from something else, and thus could not keep up with grooming, allowing the fleas to proliferate more readily and he became even sicker so that you noticed. Cats are often very good at hiding an illness until they get to the point where they are so sick they cannot compensate.
Whatever is going on with your fellow if he is as sick as you describe he is too sick for any sort of home treatment. He needs to see his veterinarian as soon as possible.
They can run blood and urine tests to look for blood borne parasites and underlying internal organ disease while supporting him with fluids and possibly a blood transfusion if he is extremely anemic.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.