Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Can eye ulcers in acat with aFIV be suceefully cleared up.

Customer Question
Can eye ulcers in acat...
Can eye ulcers in acat with a
FIV be suceefully cleared up. He has one in his other eye that bothers him occasion ly
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat
6/13/2015
Cat Vet: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Harry. Thank you for rescuing him.
I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
Has he been retested for FIV? Sometimes kittens that are very young will be positive (meaning they have antibodies against the FIV virus from their mother's milk) when young, but will test negative when they are older. If he was tested when he was less than 16 weeks old, he might not be actually infected with FIV and that would be good news.
He probably is infected with Herpes virus; that is the most common kitten virus that causes eye ulcers. Lysine can be helpful with Herpes virus infection.
We can treat these ulcers, but they can do come back. There are prescription eye drops that have anti viral effects that can help. The oral medication famciclovir can also be helpful. I also like the eye medicine Terramycin, which you can get without a prescription.
I would consider continuing the lysine, but asking your vet about viral eye drops and famciclovir to try to clear up his problem. Let me know what else I can answer or help with.