Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My male cat about 13 years old used to be very plump. He

Customer Question
does not want to eat...
My male cat about 13 years old used to be very plump. He does not want to eat much now. I have bought so many brands of wet and dry food to no avail. He will gobble down new food for awhile then stop.He loves treats and gobbles those down. I mix them in
with his dry food. He was throwing up quite a bit so I bought Innova on line along with the treats and he refused it. I then went to Purina for digestion problems and he ate that for awhile and it settled the throwing up down but just like before he tired
of it and would not eat it. I have tried everything to not giving him food other then 1 wet serving a day and 1 dry serving with treats a day and he will not eat it. He loves fresh water so I make sure he gets it. He has gotten so skinny. His stool and wee-wee
are good. He always litters in his box. Can you help. Thank you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
6/12/2015
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 2 years ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Hi Gail and welcome.
Because Casey is a senior kitty, there could be various underlying medical problems causing his symptoms. I think, from your detailed description (thank you! : )), that he's not just being picky about his foods. If he has gotten very thin, was throwing up and doesn't eat properly, he may have developed diabetes, hyperthyroidism, liver or kidney issues; of course, there are other possibilities, too. Here is more information:
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/FHC/health_resources/brochure_hyperthyroid.cfm
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/FHC/health_resources/brochure_diabetes.cfm
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/FHC/health_resources/kidneydisease.cfm
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/FHC/health_resources/SeniorCats.cfm
---
Other problems could include intestinal parasites (even if he's indoor-only) or intestinal issues.
It would be a good next step to have him evaluated in person by his vet and request a routine senior blood panel, including a thyroid test. A urinalysis would also be a good idea. Bring a fresh fecal sample for the vet to analyze, also; this will save time at the office. The results of the lab testing will provide more diagnostic tools for the vet and once the cause of Casey's problem is determined, he will be treated, if necessary.
For the moment, try to offer him a high quality canned food that he likes and stick with it. Switching foods very often can upset the intestinal system,also. Ask the vet for some Science Diet canned a/d. It's very palatable and easily digestible, plus it is high in calories, so it might help him start gaining weight, until we know what the problem is.
I hope all will be well with Casey, and please let me know how he's doing. Thanks!
Please kindly rate my answer with positive feedback and if you have any additional questions, just click Reply and I will always be here for you and Casey. Rating will not cut off our ability to communicate. This question will always be open for you to reply to me.
Warmest wishes,
Cher
I'm just following up on our conversation about Casey. How is everything going?
Cher
Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist