Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I have two 7 1/2 month old cats (brother and sister). I am…

Customer Question
I have two 7 1/2...
I have two 7 1/2 month old cats (brother and sister). I am waiting for assistance to have them fixed. The female is in heat and she is now pooping and peeing outside of her box. We are keeping them apart to prevent pregnancy.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat
6/9/2015
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 3 years ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Hello, and welcome!
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you and your kitties today.
I'm so glad to hear that you're keeping them apart to avoid pregnancy!
You can have them fixed at a low cost at various clinics listed by state, at this site:
http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html
You can also contact your local Humane Society and ASPCA to get low-cost spay/neutering:
http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/pet_overpopulation/tips/afford_spay_neuter.html
-----------
The pooping and peeing outside of her litterbox are most likely related to her being in heat; however, she may have a urinary tract infection that is giving her pain, so a check by the vet and a urinalysis may be a good next step.
Clean the areas she's soiled with an enzyme based pet stain cleaner so she can't smell where she went before and doesn't return there. Also, supply her with more than one box. Nature's Miracle, Zero Odor and Odor Mute are well recommended products to clean these areas.
Also, get a Feliway plug in diffuser. This also helps with stress and inappropriate elimination: http://www.feliway.com/us
I hope you're able to get your kitties fixed asap, and all will be well!
Please kindly rate my answer with positive feedback and if you have any additional questions, just click Reply and I will always be here for you and your cats. Rating will not cut off our ability to communicate. This question will always be open for you to reply to me.
Warmest wishes,
Cher