Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My kitten, 11 weeks old, has had sneezing and runny nose and eye gunk

Customer Question

My kitten, 11 weeks old, has had sneezing and runny nose and eye gunk since I got her just over a week ago. The nasal stuffiness is getting progressively worse and she has the most horrible smell. Been to vet twice. Saturday we started on L Lysine twice day and a sulf based med once a day for coccidia. It pains me to watch her struggle to breathe, so we turn off the a/c and sit in a steamy bathroom till the hot water runs out. 20 minutes...it's an apartment. Isn't there anything else I can do to help her breathe easier?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you and your kitty today. Is her name 'Gidget' or 'Gidhet', as you had written it?

It sounds like she has an upper respiratory infection, which is viral, like our human colds, and it just needs to run it's course for about 2 weeks.

You are doing all the RIGHT things to help her breathe more easily, but as far as the steamy bathroom, I'd recommend sitting in there for about 10-15 minutes at a time, several times a day.

If the saline pediatric nose drops didn't help, you can try a product called 'Little Noses', also made for infants/children.

Ask your vet if an antihistamine like Benadryl or Chlor-trimeton may help her breathe more easily. I prefer Chlor-trimeton, because it's a smaller pill and you would give only 1/4 of a 4mg. pill to begin with and you can offer it in a small amount of wet food from your hand. Here is more information about precautions and dosage:
CHLOR-TRIMETON

In addition to the steamy bathroom, run a humidifier in the rooms she spends the most time in, and encourge her to drink water. If she is breathing through her mouth, I know it's difficult to eat and drink, but you must make sure she is getting enough nutrition and fluids. If need be, you can force-feed her (this isn't as 'violent' as it sounds! : )) with a dropper or children's/pet syringe, watered down smooth canned cat food and/or watered down plain jarred baby food chicken or turkey containing NO onion or garlic. Beechut Stage 1 Chicken and Chicken Broth is a good one. You can also mix her water 50/50 with plain, unflavored Pedialyte so she increases her electrolytes.

Continue to be in touch with the vet if her symptoms do not improve within a few days and/or if she is not eating/drinking well or any other symtoms appear.

I hope all will be well with your furry girl and she's feeling much better, very soon! Please let me know how she's doing. Thanks!

Please kindly rate my answer with positive feedback and if you have any additional questions, just click Reply and I will always be here for you and Gidget. Rating will not cut off our ability to communicate. This question will always be open for you to reply to me.

Warmest wishes,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hello, again.

I'm just following up with you to see how Gidget is feeling and if you found my suggestions helpful. If you need any additional information, just click 'Reply' to let me know and I will be glad to continue.

Please let me know how she's doing, as I am concerned about her and hope that she's improving little by little, every day! Thanks!

Warmest wishes,
Cher