Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat has been very lethargic and stumbles when he

Customer Question
Hello. My cat has...
Hello. My cat has been very lethargic and stumbles when he jumps off a chair. He's hunched over with his head down. Eyes seem a little spaced out. He cries when I pick him up, but then just goes loose. He appears very week. Eats very little. Not sure about water. He's an outdoor cat and ate a squirrel about 5 days ago. And these symptoms for the last 3-4 days. My local vet said he seems okay during exam. And blood work all looked fine. I really dont have finances to take him to more visits, but I want him to get better. I'm not sure what else to do. :(
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
6/8/2015
Cat Vet: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
I am sorry to hear you are worried about WIllie. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
I am also sorry to see you have not had help from an expert before now. I just came online and saw your question.
Do you still want help with him?
I see he has been like this 3 to 4 days. Has he gotten any better, or worse as time goes by?
If you check his gums, are they pink in color? Any chance you can get me a copy of his blood tests, so I can see what was (and was not) tested?

Hello. No he hasn't gotten better. They said he has ear mites and gave me Tresaderm drops to give twice a day. They said his ears might be bad enough to affect his balance, which is why he is sluggish and stumbling once in a while. I really don't know if that's true, but I think he's in pain since he's hunched over. I have very limited funds and not sure if I can afford x-ray's, etc in case it's something lodged in stomach and requires surgery. Attached is his blood test. Thank you

Relist: Incomplete answer.
Sorry I have been away from the computer since you got back to me.
It is interesting that he got a squirrel before this happened, but the blood tests do not indicate he got some kind of infection from the squirrel.
When you say his eyes are spaced out, are they dilated, nonresponsive to light?
Having ear problems can cause a cat to be wobbly, but not usually weak.
I would consider trying pain medication. Most of the safe and effective pain medications are by prescription, and you would have to get them from your vet. You can try 1/2 of a low dose aspirin, once every 3 to 4 days.
If something were lodged in his stomach, I would expect he would be vomiting.
Thanks for posting the blood tests. It shows good liver and kidney function, normal red and white blood cell counts, normal blood sugar, not anemic so his weakness is not due to those problems.
Pancreatitis could cause weakness and pain, and these blood tests would not tell us if he has that condition.
Keep him hydrated, by offering water as well as broth or watered down milk.
Let me know what else I can help with. I will be online now for a few hours.

Is there a chance he could've broken his collarbone or some other bone that supports his front legs? I'm noticing that he has a very hard time getting down from the couch or steps as if his front legs are hurting. When he jumped down off of a 3ft chair the other day, his front legs kinda buckled and landed in his face.

Cat collar bones do not support the front legs, they are not connected to the front legs like our collarbones are connected to our shoulders.
If his problems began after he jumped, he may have injured something, however. Or, he may have some problem with his neurologic system that is causing the weakness, and that also caused him to have the fall from the chair that would not usually affect a normal cat.
If you think he is painful, I would either get pain medication from your veterinarian, or try the baby/low dose aspirin, 1/2 once every 3 to 4 days.
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian