Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat was the runt. She is very small but has incredible heart.

Customer Question
I've only had her a...
My cat was the runt. She is very small but has incredible heart. I've only had her a short time but she sneezes constantly, and always has mucus coming from her nose. She breathes very very heavy and I hear her snore. Yet her activity level is good! I just love her so much and want to help her, I'm asking for some advice . Her name is Jolie
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat
We have other cats- they all love outside. They have a safe cat apartment but since joline has been sick I let her in at night
All the cats are fixed also
6/5/2015
Cat Vet: Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
These cats can be incredibly frustrating. We call them "chronic snufflers." They have constant sneezing and nasal discharge. This is usually due to Herpes Virus destroying the turbinates in the nose. They don't have the normal filtering of air, so they have chronic discharge that builds up.
There is no cure for this, but it can be managed. I like to start by doing a nasal flush. This is to get as much debris out of the nose as possible. I'll then culture the stuff in the nose to see what types of bacteria are present. From there, I'll start antibiotics. I usually go with Baytril + Azithromycin initially. Once under control, I'll back off of the Baytril and use Azithromycin chronically. I usually give it once daily for a few weeks followed by every 2-3 days chronically. Again, it's not a cure, but it does help to keep these cats sub-clinical or minimally clinical.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
I'm taking her to a vet next week but we rescued 4 other cats also. Will this make them suseptable to the condition? Also will regular bathing help?
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Herpes virus is contagious between cats, but to get a chronic disease process, there has to be some genetic component. I wouldn't expect other cats exposed to her to end up with the same chronic signs.
Bathing is not likely to change the degree of upper respiratory signs.