Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My 18-yr-old cat's health has been declining past year

Customer Question
My 18-yr-old cat's health has...
My 18-yr-old cat's health has been declining for the past year or so. She has been dealing with increasing renal failure, weight loss, and increasing loss of motor function. The only thing she can eat is the kitty-Ensure, she has arthritis, can no longer use the cat box or get into any of her comfort places (bed, box, etc.), and has begun to have seizures. We know she is dying, but a trip to the vet when she is so frail is too traumatizing and none of our local vets will make house calls. Is there a way we can safely euthanize her at home with the family present? Thank you.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat
5/26/2015
Cat Vet: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 3 years ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
I am so sorry Phantom is so ill that you are faced with the most painful decision that ever befalls a beloved pet owner.
You have given her 18 wonderful years of love and devotion.Bless you for that!
Unfortunately, there is no safe way to euthanize at home. All the human drugs you would consider would only add to her suffering.People have tried and it resulted in the poor cat having seizures and discomfort.
Can you please give me your zip code so I can try to locate a mobile vet that can come to your home?
In the meantime, I know you will continue to make her feel comfortable and very loved.
Love,
Terri