Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I have a 11 year old male cat that become blocked (

Customer Question
for the first time) two...
I have a 11 year old male cat that become blocked ( for the first time) two weeks ago. He was in emergency and our vet for five days because the catheter was removed too soon and he blocked again. He had subq fuids and pain meds after we took him home. He would not eat at the vet. We have changed his diet to prescription dry (he will eat a bit of wet too). He has been sleeping a lot since he got home. He semed to perk up for a few days and then became tired/didn't eat for a day. Yesterday morning he strated running back and forth to litter boxes. He was urinating each time. I gave him some liquid herbal solution and he has been fine since then - but, again, sleeping/resting almost all the time. Is this normal recovery? He goes back the vet Friday to check creatine, which became elevated after hospital stay. BUN was fine.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat
5/26/2015
Cat Vet: Candy R., Veterinary Technician replied 3 years ago
Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Hello. I am sorry to hear that your kitty is having some trouble. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I would be happy to help.
Yes the going back and forth to the box can be normal behavior. They will often have some swelling and irritation due to the catheter and this can cause an increased urge to urinate. It is also not uncommon to see them be a bit tired after spending time at the vets. For cats the vets office can be a very stressful place where they always feel on guard and do not sleep well.
The important thing is that he continues to urinate as re blocking is a common occurrence as well. I would just keep an eye on him for now and let him rest.
I would however continue to check the box each time he goes in to be sure that he is going. If he is not on any anti inflammatory or pain meds I would give your vet a call and see if they think they may be helpful.
I hope this helps and he feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
If you have no additional questions please take the time to provide a rating to close out the question. Closing the question does not mean that you can not come back for follow up as the question is always open to you. It simply closes it on my end so I can assist other pet owners. I strive to provide excellent service so please reply back if I can be of additional assistance.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
I am here for you if you have any additional questions.
If you do not need additional assistance please take a few minutes and provide a rating so I can be compensated by JustAnswer for assisting you.
Candy R.