Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My 11 month old cat is very sweet and usually snugly, but she

Customer Question

My 11 month old cat is very sweet and usually snugly, but she growls if we touch her stomach. Plus, she was pregnant, but now isn't. I also discovered leaking water under our house from our sink and I think the puddle it has created is toxic.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and welcome!
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you and Angel.
I just have a few questions:
How long ago was she pregnant?
Did she miscarry or lose the babies or did she deliver a litter?
When did you first notice that her tummy was sensitive to the touch?
Does it seem swollen at all?
Does she have any vaginal discharge?
Does she have access to this puddle of possibly toxic water and have you seen her drink from it?
Is she eating, drinking, eliminating and acting normally except for the tenderness in her stomach?
Thanks for all your additional information.
Cher
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Cher. She was pregnant just a day or two ago.
She seems to be drinking more water and will only eat canned food. I think she miscarried because I thought I saw the miscarried babies.
She had access to the puddle, and was even hanging out by the puddle.
My family also seems to be feeling off as well. This puddle is because of a plumbing issue in our kitchen, but we live in a mobile home, so I kind of think its affecting us all.
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your very helpful reply.
I'm sorry to hear that she miscarried.
I'm also sorry that this plumbing issue is affecting your entire family.
There are several concerns here: if she could have drunk from the puddle that contains toxic materials, she could have been poisoned and her vet will need to examine her in person and do some lab work to get a better view of the situation. In addition, if she did miscarry, it's possible that she has a serious uterine infection called pyometra, which needs to be treated asap. Treatment for pyometra is typically spay surgery. Another possibility is that she has a retained kitten and that's a very dangerous situation, as well.
If she's drinking a lot more than usual, this can be a symptom of poisoning or various other conditions, so your best next step is to have Angel seen by her vet to get a definite diagnosis and treatment.
If you can bring a sample of the water in this puddle to an independent laboratory to find out exactly what toxins it contains, if you're not sure, that would help, too.
I hope you're able to have Angel seen by a vet right away and here are two vets that have weekend hours and offer a free coupon to new patients:
http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer
http://www.banfield.com/landing/index.html
I hope there is one near you.
I hope all will be well with Angel and please let me know how she's doing and what the vet's findings are. Thanks!
Warmest wishes,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
I just wanted to let you know that it's time for me to sign off for the night, so if you have any further questions, I will be glad to answer them tomorrow, when I sign back online.
If you find Angel is exhibiting any additional or unusual symptoms or those of distress, bring her to an ER vet right away.
Have a good night!
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
I'm just checking in with you to see how Angel is feeling, because I'm concerned about her.
Were you able to have her seen by a vet? I hope so, and she's doing well. Please let me know what the vet told you. I do hope she didn't have pyometra, but if she did, the best treatment is to have her spayed. Here is more information about it:
http://www.cat-world.com.au/pyometra-in-cats
I also hope you and your family are feeling better and you have isolated and eradicated the plumbing problem which you feel is affecting you all! This can be very dangerous and perhaps you can call a city or town agency to help you with it.
Please let me know if you found my answer helpful and if so, please be so kind as to Rate with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!
If you have any additional questions/concerns about this situation, we can still communicate even after you rate; I will always be here for you and Angel. Just click 'Reply.' Thanks so much!
Warmest wishes,
Cher