Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat has always been healthy was fine when I got home

Customer Question
Hi my cat has always...
Hi my cat has always been healthy was fine when I got home last night went to work yesterday day shift got home at 11 o'clock and my cat was fine seems like a little and then he wouldn't he is laying there wouldn't get in bed with me up this morning he is still just act like he doesn't feel well and I'm going to go take him to the vet that I just need a little bit of information what you think it might be cuz he's 8 years old he's always been healthy
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat
5/21/2015
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 3 years ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Hello, and welcome!
I'm sorry Handsomeboy is not feeling like himself.
Can you please tell me some of his symptoms?
Is he eating, drinking, urinating and defecating?
Is he breathing normally?
Is he walking without any problem?
What color are his gums?
Any drooling, vomiting or diarrhea?
Can you feel all over his body to see if any areas are tender?
Does he spend any time outdoors?
Thanks for all your additional information and after your reply, please allow me some time to go over the info, compose and send your detailed answer.
Warmest regards,
Cher
He's been fine eats drinks talks I would say I was at work from 10 to 10 got home and he was not him self stayed on floor didn't eat I would say hasn't done. nothing in hours I have just resntly let in the back yard he loves it there has been no signs of anothing he's not hissing but like when u have a dry mouth
Hi again, and thanks for your helpful reply.
If you have not seen him urinate within the past 12-24 hours, he could have a urinary blockage, which is a medical emergency in a male cat. here is more information:
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/FHC/health_resources/UrinaryConcerns.cfm
Constipation or other intestinal issues may also be the problem.
Older cats are more prone to develop diabetes, hyperthyroidism, liver and kidney problems, so he should be checked for those (and other problems) with a routine senior blood test, thyroid panel and urinalysis.
If he spends time outside, he may have ingested some non-food item or something that was toxic and that is causing him to act this way. He also may have been stung or bitten by an insect or spider.
When you say 'he's not hissing but like when you have dry mouth,' is he smacking his lips together and/or licking his lips a lot? If so, this could be a sign of nausea or an oral/dental problem like an abscessed tooth, gum infection, sores in the mouth, some foreign object stuck in his mouth or wrapped around his tongue, so if you're able, check his mouth.
He could have developed a viral or bacterial infection; he may have a fever--feel his body to see if he's very hot. Temperature of ears and noses are not a good indicator of fever. If he'll let you, you can take his temp. with a regular rectal or digital thermometer lubricated with Vaseline or KY Jelly and normal for cats is between 100.5 and 102.5.
Because he's acting so uncharacteristically, suddenly, it might be a good idea to have him seen by an ER vet tonight, so you have peace of mind. He will be assessed, diagnosed and treated.
I hope all will be well with your furry boy and please let me know how he's doing and what the vet tells you. Thanks!
Please be so kind as to rate with positive feedback so I am credited for my assistance. Thank you very much. This will not cut off our communication, and I will still be here for you at no additional charge.
If you need any additional information or clarification, please click reply and I will be glad to continue.
Warmest regards,
Cher
Hi again,
I'm just checking in with you to see how Handsomeboy is doing today.
Were you able to get him into a vet for evaluation and diagnosis? I hope only something minor was found and he's being treated.
Please update me, as I'm concerned for him. Thanks!
If you found my answer helpful, please take a moment to rate with positive feedback, so I receive credit. This won't cut off our communication and I will still be here for you and Handsomeboy at no additional charge.
Warmest regards,
Cher
Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist