Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat just started acting weird, walking around stumbling, tripping…

Customer Question
cat just started acting weird...
cat just started acting weird, walking around stumbling, tripping and rolling. KInd of acting drunk
very scared, didn't eat anything weird.
strictly indoor 2 other cats fine
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat
5/19/2015
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 3 years ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Hello, and welcome!
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you and your kitty today.
From your description, it sounds like s/he might be exhibiting symptoms of Vestibular Syndrome. This causes a cat to feel dizzy, when there is a problem with the vestibular system, which controls balance/equilibrium. Very often, a cat will walk the way you describe, like he's drunk. Here is more detailed information:
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/FHC/health_resources/vestibularsyndrome.cfm
If you're 100% sure your kitty couldn't have gotten into anything toxic, that's great!
Sometimes, this disorder is caused by an ear infection or other disturbance in the inner ear, so it would be a good idea to have your cat evaluated by his vet as soon as possible, or, if the symptoms worsen and/or he's unable to eat or drink, you might consider a visit to the nearest ER vet center, tonight, so he can be assessed, diagnosed and treated.
You didn't mention the age of this kitty, but if he is an older cat, there's also a chance he could have had a stroke.
I hope all will be well with your kitty and please keep me posted on how he's doing and what the vet tells you. Thanks!
Warmest regards,
Cher