Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

I need to give my cat some aspirin. I have 81 mg here, and

Customer Question
I need to give my...
I need to give my cat some aspirin. I have 81 mg here, and I plan on cutting it in half because I don't want to hurt her. She is in pain from a bite injury.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
5/9/2015
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 2 years ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Hello, and welcome!
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you and Spicy today.
If she sustained a bite from an animal yesterday, that wound needs to be cleaned out and treated by a vet, as soon as possible. I'm assuming Spicy is fully vaccinated and up to date on her shots, so we don't have to worry about rabies. However, this wound can become infected very quickly, so an in-person vet visit is very important.
While Tylenol, Ibuprofen and other over the counter human pain medications are extremely toxic to cats, aspirin can be given under certain circumstances. Very little needs to be given and aspirin toxicity and/or internal bleeding is of concern. If you must give aspirin until you can get to a vet, you can give the 1/2 81mg., as you mentioned, every OTHER day. Here is more information (scroll about halfway down the page):
http://www.allfelinehospital.com/first-aid-care.pml
Please try to get Spicy seen in person by a vet or ER vet center, right away. If you're in a financial bind, these options might help:
The following vet offices provide a coupon for a free first visit for new patients, so you might want to check out if there is one near you; they are nationwide and have extended and weekend hours:
http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer
http://www.banfield.com/landing/index.html
You might also consider applying for Care Credit which is accepted by most vet offices:
http://carecredit.com/practices/veterinary/
This is a list of organizations that might help pay for vet visits:
http://speakingforspot.com/index.php?p=Financial-Assistance-for-Veterinary-Care
Even though you're fairly certain Spicy dragging her hind legs behind her is caused by the bite wound, at her age, it's not uncommon for a cat to develop symptoms of cardiomyopathy, a cardiac condition, in which a blood clot can lodge in the central artery carrying blood to the hind legs. This can result in severe pain and paralysis. I don't mean to alarm you, just to inform, so you can discuss this with the vet, when you bring her in.
I hope all will be well with Spicy and please let me know how she's doing. Thanks!
Please be so kind as to Rate my answer with positive feedback, so I can receive credit from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!
Warmest regards,
Cher
Hi Kathi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Spicy. How is everything going?

Cher
Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist