Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Our 10 year old diabetic cat had her insulin shot six hours ago. she is walking around, d

Customer Question

our 10 year old diabetic cat had her insulin shot six hours ago. she is walking around, disoriented. I gave her some baby aspirin. She continues to walk aimlessly,swing her head, be non-aware.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. The danger here is that your cat may be suffering a hypoglycaemic crisis { Low blood sugar due to the insulin } the symptoms you describe could well fit in with this. What to do in this sort of situation is to give your cat some sugar, or glucose or honey orally and then observe her for 15 minutes, if she then picks up this will confirm the diagnosis. In that case this should give you time to contact your vet at the next opportunity to discuss her treatment regime. 2. Aspirin does not agree with cats by the way and can be toxic to them, best avoid it's use in cats. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how your cat is getting on after our recent dialogue.How did things go?Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Legacy. How is everything going?