Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My cat is around 5-6 months old. And today I noticed that her

breath smells really bad.. so...
My cat is around 5-6 months old. And today I noticed that her breath smells really bad.. so I took a look at her mouth and teeth, finding out that her premolar (i think the are called that) are so lose! That freaked me out, I know that kittens lose their baby teeth, can the stinky breath be related to her losing her teeth? Or could this be an infection of some sort? The teeth are so lose that i could easily take them out my self but I wont do that to her! I really hope that this is normal, i was just so shocked that the teeth were so lose, isn't painful for her to eat dry food ? She eats well and doesn't seem to be in pain at all. But the smell of her breath is so awful!
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/10/2013
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.
Do you see any redness, or swelling, around the gum line?
What are you currently feeding her?

No i cant see any swelling, i could be mistaken though. But it appears the same on both sides, no redness, just regular pink colour on both sides. She eats dry food, Josera Minette. And she is actually eating right now so it doesn't seem that the lose tooth prevents her from eating.

Thank you,
That sounds very normal.
If she has not already lost her canine teeth (vampire teeth), those will come out this month as well.
To help with the odor, you can dip q-tips in hydrogen peroxide. Dab that over the loose teeth.
If her gums/teeth were infected, the gums would be dark red around those teeth.
Her breath should be back to normal in a few days.
If it is not, you may want to change her over to a different food.
Sometimes a particular food causes bad breath. Switching to a different food may help.
You would want to change her over to a new food gradually.
Over a weeks time.
But since she is eating well, you do not see dark redness or inflammation, and she seems otherwise happy I would leave her on the same dry food for now.
I hope this helps.
If you have additional quesitons, please reply.
Thanks
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian

Thank you so much for your held! Really calmed my nerves :) She still has her litte vampire teeths, so I'll be monitoring those theeths then for the next months.

Thank you!

My pleasure. Let me know if you need anything else and enjoy the rest of your day. Smile
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian