Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

10 days ago i took my 6 years old cat for teeth removal(female).Since

we came back,cat was breathing...
10 days ago i took my 6 years old cat for teeth removal(female).Since we came back,cat was breathing heavily,drink lots of water and doesnt play at all.Today we took her back to the vet.He did some blood test and chest xrays.

1.In blood sample there was a lot of fat.Due to her food how he explained us

2.Blood test show some hign numbers regardind her liver.He wrote us some specia food to change her diet.

3.Xrays showed that her dyspnoia is due to fluids aroun her lungs.He said is quite dangerous becaouse heart doenot have a lot of space.He was clear that fluid is outside heart sac.
He told me he cant take fluid out with needle and he wrote for us Salurex.In one week new xrays.He says that if we manage to take the fluid out cat can get normal again and then concetrate to the liver.
If fluid goes out my cat will get back to norma l agian?
10/29/2013
FelineMed
FelineMed, Licensed Veterinary Technician
Hi! I am a Licensed Veterinary Technician and have worked in 2 different cat hospitals for well over 10 years. I'm looking forward to assisting you!

I'm so sorry poor Nika is having these issues....

I do have a couple of questions first though so that I can better assist you?

1) What is Nika currently eating now? Is she eating well?

2) Does she have any other liver signs, such as having a yellow tint to her skin?

3) Was your vet able to see her heart well on the x-ray through the fluid? Did he say that it looked ok if so?

4) Did your vet think that it was not possible at all to remove the fluid from her lungs or just that he didn't feel comfortable doing it?

5) What are all of the medications and doses that Nika is currently on?

Thanks so much in advance for the information!

Once you reply, please give me a little bit to respond : )

FelineMed

1.She is eating well

2.no signs

3.Nothing said about heart.HE said fluid outside heart sac.Fluid was the problem.

4.dont know.

5.Salurex 1/4 of pill in the morning and 1/4 in the night.

Thank you so much for the further information! That is good to hear that she is eating well. A cat's appetite says a lot about how they are feeling inside.

That is also good that you are not seeing any yellowing of her skin.

The fluid on her lungs can certainly be causing the dyspnea that you are seeing and that is causing her to not want to play and have some trouble breathing. Fluid in the chest area could be from a heart condition, a mass unfortunately, or fluid back up into Nika's system, which can occur for various reasons, one being over hydration.

Without seeing the x-rays, it is hard to know how much fluid is present, but I would imagine that it may be making it hard for your vet to see Nika's heart silhouette and possibly difficult to hear her heart sounds. Often times a cat with a heart condition will have some abnormal heart sounds such as a murmur. It would be important for your vet to see the heart silhouette on the x-ray in order to determine for sure whether Nika's heart is normal or not.

The easiest way to get this view is to remove the fluid from her chest. The medication that your vet described is used to help remove excessive fluid, however it is not always strong enough to remove a large amount of fluid. Usually this is used in conjunction with manually removing the fluid via a needle. I'm not quite sure why your vet did not think he could remove that fluid at all, unless it was a very small amount, but then I would not think that it would be enough to cause the severity of the signs you are seeing.

As far as the liver, your vet can certainly prescribe Denamarin which is a great liver supplement and is used often. It is very safe even if you were to go ahead and start that now.

The Salurex should work fairly quickly if it is going to help, so if you start to notice some improvement within a couple of days, then you may be fine just continuing on the current plan. However, if she worsens or does not improve significantly, I think the fluid should be removed, even if that means going to another vet to have it done. Cats usually tolerate this well and it really does not take long at all to have done. No anesthesia is usually needed either.

I hope all of this information has been helpful and that Nika can be feeling well again!

Please do not hesitate to ask any further questions. I aim to provide you with the best service possible. If you feel I have done so, then
an excellent rating is greatly appreciated! If not, please let me know how I can better assist you. Thanks! XXXXX
FelineMed

is this condiotion treatable?

i mean if all go how the doctor hopes,fluid goes out etc will she live long or this will come back?

It depends on the condition that has caused the fluid build up, if it is just from over hydration, then yes your vet is right that just removing the fluid is all that Nika will need to be healthy again. If there is a heart condition, then Nika will need an ultrasound of her heart to determine what medications she will need, but most heart conditions are treatable though not curable. If after removing the fluid, a mass is noted on radiograph, then that will mean Nika has a much more difficult road ahead of her...

FelineMed

fSince we brought her back from the teeth surgery,she was drinking lots of water.Maybe cause the shock?

She is 6 years old but she is an appartmen cat.Just goes to the balcony.

I don't think over hydration would at all be caused by her drinking too much....usually it is due to receiving too many IV fluids or sometimes even subcutaneous fluids...perhaps she received more than her body was able to handle. This is not always a problem with the amount given, but sometimes just that the cat's body was not able to handle that amount for one reason or another.

FelineMed

your last answer really made me mad considering my vet.I know my cat.She was healthy before go to him for her teeth.She is a crazy cat.All time play and run.Most probably is the iv fluids.

High number on liver could be from food? She likes eating tuna from conserve same people eat.

I'm sorry, but it is quite possible...there is always a chance there was some underlying condition that she was not showing any symptoms of yet, that's why getting a clear x-ray with no fluid or very little present is ideal, but to do that, we have to get the fluid removed.

It is next to impossible for a cat to drink too many fluids to the point of having fluid accumulation in the chest.

The good news though...is that if it is just due to over hydration, then just removal of this fluid will ensure that she will be healthy again.

FelineMed
FelineMed
Thank you so much for the excellent rating, it is greatly appreciated!

I did want to mention one more thing....most vets will send off some of the fluid for testing upon removal. This would help determine where the fluid came from as well. So, if you do take Nika to have the fluid removed, I would make sure that the vet does send some off as well for analysis.

I hope she is back to her normal self soon : )

FelineMed
Hi Ioannis,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Nika. How is everything going?

FelineMed

Today we re gonig for new xrays.

She can breathe more eaily than a week ago/

She eats normal

But she doesnt play or run...she just sits,sleeps and eat

Thank you for the update.

That is good that she can breathe more easily and is eating well, so it sounds like she is at least improving, but is still not fully healthy. I hope the x-rays will give a clearer view of the situation and some fluid can be removed if need be.

I'll be hoping for the best!

FelineMed
FelineMed
FelineMed