Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

I wormed my cat yesterday and was wondering what the symptoms

were afterwards. He seems...
I wormed my cat yesterday and was wondering what the symptoms were afterwards. He seems abit sleepy today; is this normal and should I just let things take their course?
10/25/2013
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Thanks so much for requesting me. It is my pleasure to help someone as wonderful as you!

Can you please tell me the name of the wormer you gave Tommy?

What type of worms did he have?

Is he eating and eliminating normally?

Kind regards,

Terri

It was Bob Martin's Spot on which I put on the back of his neck?

Tommy is eating normally, although he doesn't seem to be requesting it quite so much today. Before I wormed him he was requesting food quite regularly and had to ignore him quite a bit otherwise we were afraid he would put on weight!

Thank you for the additional information.

Here is info on the product:

http://www.wormers-direct.co.uk/spotonforcats.html

It contains praziquantil which is the proper ingredient to rid Tommy of worms.

It can cause a bit of sleepiness, nausea and even some diarrhea. However, these symptoms should not last more than 30 hours.

If you feed canned food (which is best for cats), Tommy will maintain a natural weight:

www.catinfo.org

Feed Tommy normally and let him sleep as much as he likes.

I hope he feels back to himself very soon.

If you still have questions just press reply and I will be here for you.

Warmest regards,

Terri

I feed Felix pouches 2 daily, is this as good as canned food? He also has a handful of dry GoCat as well, which he loves! I have to be careful with this and try and ignore him if he asks for more and try and distract him by playing games with him, which usually works!

Hello

Yes, Felix pouches are as good as canned food because they contain water.

Go cat food is also fine to feed in small amounts. Just make sure he drinks water after he eats the dry food.

If you like you can give him a bit more food and just up his exercise routine.

Here is a list of toys that cats love:
It is best to use interactive toys like a laser pointer and feather dancer/fishing pole toy (but don't leave this one alone with him, as pieces can be bitten off, so put it away where it's inaccessible to him and only bring it out when you can play WITH
him):

Foraging toys

http://www.zootoo.com/pet-product/cat-toys/funkitty-twist-n-treat

http://www.batarat.com/

http://www.catdvd.com/

http://www.shopfatcat.com/Cat-Toys_c_7.html

http://www.amazon.com/FroliCat-BOLT-Interactive-Laser-Pet/dp/B0021L8W6K

Most cats do not overeat, the ways dogs do. If they get exercise they maintain a normal weight very well.

Tommy sounds like a lovely boy!

Best wishes for him,

Terri

Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tommy. How is everything going?

Terri

Thanks for asking about Tommy. I'm pleased to say that he is back to his usual jolly self again. He is eating and drinking as usual and eliminating too. He never does his stools in the litter tray, so hopefully I will find them in the garden to dispose of them!

He is not too keen on this windy weather that we are experiencing at the moment. When he does go out he chases the leaves and tears across the garden like a rocket, which is really amusing to watch! I have attached a photo of him taken back in the summer for your interest.

Thanks once again for your enquiry.

Ruth Janes

Tommy is gorgeous! He is handsome and precious!!

I am so glad he is fine.

Love,

Terri

Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert