Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My cat likes to bite and attack peoples legs. Is there a way

My cat likes to bite...
My cat likes to bite and attack people's legs. Is there a way to stop this? I'm concerned most about the biting, especially in case he bites a child.
10/14/2013
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello and welcome.

This is not an information request but just a short message to introduce myself.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me fifteen minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and then type things up. I will then get back to you and we can then talk things over.

Regards,

Scott

Hello again Melissa and thanks for waiting.

Mittens sure is a naughty cat! This sort of behaviour is not uncommon in young cats, however I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

1. Why? ... This sort of situation is not easy but can almost always be resolved with the right approach, but why is he acting like this? The answer is simple, cats by their nature are predators and to survive in the wild or as feral cats they have to hone their aggressive hunting skills. Young cats will do this by copying their parents and peers but also by play fighting. This is instinctive behaviour, as your cat may have no other young cats { or prey } to interact with then aggression towards the owner and other humans can be the result.

2. What to do about it? ... Last year I experienced just this situation { but much worse } when I picked up an injured young feral cat from the streets and I now have him as a house cat. My solution was to buy a large pump up water pistol with quite a strong water jet and squirt the cat the moment he tried to attack or showed aggression in any form. I always kept the water pistol handy and Peter { my cat } stopped this behaviour in about a week. Now as he is getting older he is a much more docile and loving cat but if he is showing signs of any unwanted behaviour all I have to do is to show him the water pistol and he backs right down and behaves.

You just have to show Mittens that you will not tolerate this behaviour { Without of course causing him any physical harm } I think the squirt bottle is not achieving this in his case so you have to find something which is going to really put the fear of God into him when he is bad and a powerful pump up water pistol should do the trick. Cats have no sense of cause and effect so you have to discipline them right in the act, this is the way to go ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Hello again Melissa,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a couple of weeks to check on Mitten's progress.

Kindest regards,

Scott

If I can ever advise you at any future point then you can contact me directly via this LINK
{ Please bookmark it }