Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My cat who has IBD and is on budeside and throws up daily threw

My cat who has IBD and is on budeside and throws up daily threw up a couple of hours ago and now is whining and licking his lips like he is about to vomit but can't. He has a tendency to eat plastic, foil, really anything he should not. He seems to be in pain with all the whining and is not himself. Could it be an obstruction?
Hi there,

Thank you for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am happy to be able to help you today. Before I put an answer together for you, I am going to need a little more info:

- Have you seen him eat an foreign body's such as foil, plastic etc this evening?
- Have you seen him urinate this evening?

Once you get back to me, I will start typing up my response. Thanks for this and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Dr E
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

His eyes look different and he is not as alert as usual

Hi again Karen,

Thank you for your prompt reply regarding Filo. There are a few things that could be going on here, including anything from nausea due to his IBD, a separate infectious gastrointestinal issue, or even potentially a GI foreign body as you say. It is less likely for this to be an esophageal foreign body with these symptoms, and typically with a gastric or duodenal foreign body, we would have seen some vomiting by now.

I would recommend keeping a close eye on him for the next hour or two if you can stay awake. Also keep an eye on his urination. Often male cats can get a blocked bladder which can lead to lip smacking and other signs of nausea like this. If he seems to be having any difficulty urinating when you do see him go, or if no urine is produced despite him adopting the 'pee position', then do get him seen by your ER Vet.

For now, For now, please keep an eye your boy's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your boy doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanced white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he his respiratory rate is high this evening, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

As above - this is less likely to be a foreign body given what you have said. Continue with his meds as prescribed, as these could settle his nausea this morning.

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He did vomit once a couple of hours ago

Thanks for that Karen. I guess that isn't too unusual for him given his history, but we would still have to consider a foreign body in that instance. To be sure, with hold his food now until the morning and then try him with a small amount again around 8 - 9 am tomorrow. Hopefully he can hold this down.

In the meantime - keep an eye on him for the next hour or two if you can. In particular, do check his mucus membranes and capilliary refill time as discussed above.

Best of luck Karen and keep in touch,

Dr E
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Did you get my last two responses?

Yes Karen - the ones saying he has vomited once and that he doesn't seem as alert as usual?