CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  I'm a veterinarian specializing in cats and have owned cats for 35 years. I love all things feline!
74496554

Hi, My cat has clusters of bumps in both ears. The bumps

My cat has clusters of bumps in both ears. The bumps are flesh colored around the edges, turning purple toward the center. There is no bad smell from either ear, and the cat seems in no discomfort at all. When I clean his ears I get a dark brown (almost back) waxy debris. It takes several q-tips to remove most of it and I never go too deep in the ear. I think the bumps are multiplying? Not really sure. He had this condition when I adopted him from a shelter. He is about 5 years old; little overweight… no other health issues, and acts like a normal lazy cat. He loves having his ears cleaned (causes his ears to itch for a little while after cleaning though.) I cut the cleanings down to 1x per month because if I do more than that I notice some blood spotting / irritation. He scratches his ears about as much as a “normal” cat. HELP! I can not afford to take him to the vet right now! Like I said he has had this condition since I adopted him and this was 2 ½ years ago.

CalCatDoc :

Hi! I'm CalCatDoc and I can help with your question about Smokey's ears.

CalCatDoc :

Is there any chance you can get a photo of it to attach here for me to look at?

Customer:

Sure! Will try to get it right now. It will be about 10 to 15 minutes. I will also send a pic of q-tips with discharge on them.

CalCatDoc :

ok

Customer:

Okay, Smokey didn't want to cooperate but I got some pics. See attached.

Full Size Image
Full Size Image
Full Size Image

CalCatDoc :

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX have a look

Customer:

Full Size Image

CalCatDoc :

Very nice pics and very helpful. If these are non-progressive and there is no bad odor/pus/dead smell in his ears these are almost certainly benign ceruminous adenomas. http://vetbook.org/wiki/cat/index.php/Ceruminous_adenoma

CalCatDoc :

I have had some patients with this where the owners did nothing and they stayed the same forever. There is a small chance that the same thing that set him up for these could lead to ceruminous adenoma, which is the cancerous version of this. They think it is due to chronic ear inflammation, which he could have had years ago before you got him.

CalCatDoc :

Treatment of choice is removal by CO2 laser. But if money is tight, your vet can prscribe something like Tresaderm to help minimize inflammation so they don't get worse. And I would be sure to avoid feeding known food allergens like fish.

CalCatDoc :

Oops up above I meant that he could develop ceruminous adenocarcinoma, the cancerous version.

CalCatDoc :

(must learn to read my post before hitting reply)

Customer:

Wow big relief! What should I watch out for in terms of change that would indicate it turning cancerous?

Customer:

:) I hit send before reading too sometimes!

CalCatDoc :

Icky, oozy, stinky mess. That black debris is just the normal exuberent wax which you can clean GENTLY.

CalCatDoc :

Cancer in the ear smells like something died in there.

CalCatDoc :

Even if he develops cancer, a good (board-certified) surgeon can do an ear canal ablation. I had a patient that needed that and did fine afterwards, cured him.

Customer:

Okay! Thank you so much!! I'll see if the vet will prescribe Tresaderm! I feel much better now! You guys are GREAT!!!

CalCatDoc :

YVW, happy to help!

Customer:

Have a great night! Smokey thanks you too!

Remember to avoid fish so he doesn't have to worry about allergic ear inflammation in case he has a problem with that.