Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

I dont have money to take my kitten to the Vet at this time.

I don't have money to take my kitten to the Vet at this time. She is about 10-14 weeks old & I have seen many small, cylindrical worms in her stool yesterday. What can I buy for her OTC. I also have an adult male cat that is about 9-10 lbs., I have been told by a previous vet that all animals in the home must also be treated. Should I buy a separate medication for him?

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

Cylindrical worms in a kitten are most likely roundworms--almost all kittens and puppies are born with them. You should be able to buy pyrantel pamoate at a pet store. I dose it at 1 ml/10 pounds body weight. So a typical 3 month old kitten would get around 0.3-0.4 ml, depending on how big she is.

Dr. Scarlett :

I would give a dose (adjusting for weight gain) every 2 weeks for 4 doses.

Dr. Scarlett :

It isn't a bad idea to treat all the cats in the household, particularly if they share a litter box.

Dr. Scarlett :

But do save up some money as Little Girl needs to get started on her vaccinations. She should also be tested for feline leukemia and feline AIDS--very important to know, since you have another cat in the household that could be at risk.

Customer:

I don't understand...........is a rating of satisfaction of service being required here? I haven't gotten my questions answered yet

Customer:

is anyone there?

Customer:

I want my money back!!!

Customer:

I never got more than "expert in chat"

I thought I did answer your question by giving you the name and dosage of the medication you could purchase at a vet store.

As a recap--pyrantel pamoate is the deworming medication. I dose cats at 1 ml per 10 pounds of body weight. A 3 month old kitten would likely be around 3#, so I would give 0.3-0.4 ml every 2 weeks for 4 doses. Your older cat would get 1 ml of the dewormer.

Does that help or do you have other questions?