CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  I'm a veterinarian specializing in cats and have owned cats for 35 years. I love all things feline!
74496554

I have a cat that weighs 25 lbs and is as big (or bigger) than

I have a cat that weighs 25 lbs and is as big (or bigger) than a small dog.
Flea collar does not stop fleas on his hind quarters.
Is anything on the market for a LARGE cat?

CalCatDoc :

Hi! I'm CalCatDoc and I can help with your LARGE cat flea question.

CalCatDoc :

Have you weighed him on a reliable scale like a baby scale? Scales for adult humans have a large margin of error so we try not to use them for cats.

CalCatDoc :

Veterinarians no longer recommend flea collars or combs for flea control on cats (or dogs). Flea collars are toxic to pets and humans and don't work very well. Flea combs are only useful for seeing if your pet has fleas.

CalCatDoc :

The very best flea control products for use on cats (and the only ones I ever recommend anymore) are Frontline Plus and Advantage II. Revolution and Comfortis are also ok but are not my favorites for various reasons.

Customer:

Just weighed him, and actually he has lost weight since last seeing the vet. Only 18.2 lbs now.

CalCatDoc :

Very good! Now you can use the large cat size Advantage II. I would not worry about him being 0.2 lb over the upper limit.

CalCatDoc :

Frontline Plus also should work for all cat size ranges.

CalCatDoc :

What geographic area of the US are you in (so I can think about how long you need to treat)?

Customer:

Do I need a script or can I buy over the counter?

CalCatDoc :

Advantage II is over the counter. PetSmart carries it, probably Petco also, and you can buy it online easily.

Customer:

New England. He is an inside cat only, so I have no idea how this problem started.

CalCatDoc :

Does your cat go outside at all?

CalCatDoc :

ok

CalCatDoc :

That makes it simpler. You will need to treat a minimum of 2 and preferably 3 times ar monthly intervals to clear the problem up - developing stages are in your home now.

Customer:

Got it. Thanks so much.

CalCatDoc :

Also you should pick up some Siphotrol Plus II Premise Spray for spraying on your carpets and furniture, onec now and again in a month.

CalCatDoc :

End of problem. Works like a charm hear in Land of Fleas.

CalCatDoc :

*here

Customer:

Will do.

CalCatDoc :

Throw that flea collar away, too.

Customer:

As soon as I get the meds, it's in the trash.

CalCatDoc :

Good. I think you'll be very happy with the good stuff. I know I was when they invented it!

Customer:

Appreciate all the help. Thanks again.

CalCatDoc :

YVW