Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

Hi, I treated my cat with Revolution a week ago, and just found

Hi, I treated my cat with Revolution a week ago, and just found two more fleas on her. Since my girlfriend is super-sensitive to their bites, the cat in confined to the our small balcony, which can't be much fun... I'm thinking perhaps I didn't apply it properly - is there any risk in applying it once more?
Tnx

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

Does Suzi go outside, apart from the balcony? Do you have any other pets in the house?

Dr. Scarlett :

I assume the fleas you found were alive and jumping? Or did they seem a bit sluggish?

Customer:

No, just the balcony - sometimes she jumps to our neughbor's balcony as well. actually they were'nt really running around, pretty sluggish, but they weredefinitely alive

Dr. Scarlett :

It can take a little while for the fleas to die, so if they were sluggish they were probably on their way out.

Dr. Scarlett :

That being said, Revolution isn't the best flea control product available. But do NOT apply another dose now! You could reapply it 3 weeks after the first dose, but no sooner. Do you have 6 pack of it or did you just get a single dose to try?

Customer:

sounds like good news... I have a six pack, but i'll buy a diferent product if it's not that dood- what do you recommend?

Dr. Scarlett :

I would use either Frontline or Vectra. They are both very effective for fleas. The most important thing is to treat your cat for a minimum of 3 months as it will take that long for the flea eggs in the apartment to hatch and jump on her. Do you have carpet in the house?

Customer:

my major problem is that the fleas bite my girlfriend ike she was a cat herself... so I have to keep suzi out. if she's full of bitesdoen it mean they are in the bed or something?

Customer:

not a carpet bet it's a 1 room apartment so there's no way to keep the cat out of the bed

Customer:

there is sort of a carpet in the balcony though

Customer:

should i put it a side?

Dr. Scarlett :

You will want to clean up the apartment, too. Wash EVERYTHING you can in hot water, ideally with bleach. If you vacuum, throw away the vacuum cleaner bag after use. For the balcony "carpet", if you can't wash it or throw it away, I would get some Mule Team borax (this is a dry laundry detergent you can find almost anywhere) and sprinkle it on the carpet. Work it into the carpet, then vacuum up the excess. The borax will help dry up the larvae and any adults in the carpet.

Customer:

thank you very much Doctor, youv'e been very helpful!