Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

cat behavior change

hi, my two year old...

hi, my two year old indoor female cat ran outside without my noticing until the next morning. she had been hiding in the back yard and ran back into the house after i called her several times. she is fixed and has had her shots. her behavior since this time is not the same. she no longer comes to me when called. she is lethargic. she is eating and drinking, but seems lighter than she was. she is meeker. she wants to go off by herself and is sleeping more. i have tried to examine her, but there seem to be no surface wounds. it seems her backside is a bit sensitive, as she makes a small mew sound and shrinks from touch. i think she was a bit traumatized from being outdoors over night. i am wondering if she was mated for the first time. should i take her to the vet for an examination or just give her a little time? it has been a couple of days since this experience - she hasn't worsened, but she doesn't seem much improved.

9/1/2013
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hello, Stefania and welcome!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help with your question.

Poor Bastet! She must've been very frightened and you don't know what 'critters' or other cats she may have come into contact with, outside. If she's spayed, an unneutered male cat probably wouldn't bother her, but you can never tell. She may have had to defend herself.

If these symptoms are not abating, it would be advisable to have her evaluated in person by a vet as soon as you can. She may have a small injury that you can't see, on or near her rear end or elsewhere, or she may have some internal injuries. Check the color of her gums and if they're light pink as usual, that's good. If they're paler, like white or grayish, she should be seen right away by an ER vet.

I'm glad you're ensuring that she's eating and drinking, and I hope she is eliminating, too.

Definitely have her seen in person and for the moment, get a Feliway plug in diffuser to help with her stress/anxiety from her little 'adventure'. You can find Feliway in major pet supply stores. Here is more information: Feliway

I hope all will be well with your sweet Bastet!

If you need any additional information or clarification, simply 'Reply' back without rating and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions. Please do not rate negatively if you still need information. Just click "Reply". Thank you!

If you found my answer helpful, a Positive Rating and Positive feedback on the survey, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laughing

If you would like to request me to answer any new, future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher Only" and I will respond as soon as possible.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

After my trying to check her over a couple of times, Bastet has now hidden somewhere in the house and is unresponsive to calls and shaking the food bag. I have been searching for her on and off since your response.

Hi again, Stefania and thanks for your reply and positive rating.

I'm sorry you can't find Bastet. Try looking under beds/furniture and behind furniture; also try looking in closets, both the bottom of the closet and upper shelves. Use a flashlight so if you can't see her, her eyes may glow from the light. Look in the litterbox. Sometimes, when cats don't feel well, they lay in the litterbox. Look up in high spots, like bookshelves, or if she has a tall kitty condo, check there. Also, check windowsills. Look behind the toilet and in the tub or shower. Continue to call her and shake the food bag.

There's no way she could have gotten outside again, right?

If she doesn't appear soon, stop calling, close all the lights you can, and just sit still in a room she likes to go into. She might come to you.

I'll be online for another 40 minutes or so; please let me know when you find her. Thanks!

Best regards,
Cher

I found her. She came out of hiding after I opened the back door. I checked her gums. They don't seem as pink as they should be - they are quite pale, but not quite white or grey. She just ate a couple of bites of cat food. She is now in her litter box. I haven't gotten her to drink any water yet.

Hi again, Stephania and thanks for the great news!

I'm glad she ate a little bit and is now in the litterbox. Keep track of her elimination. If she's not interested in drinking, and she eats canned food, you can add some water to the canned food. Also, you can dropper feed her water from the side of her mouth where there is an opening between the upper and lower teeth. Just squeeze in a little at a time and wait for a swallow. You can encourage the swallow reflex by gently rubbing her throat.

Best regards,
Cher

She didn't eliminate. She has left again - she doesn't want to be near me. She was obviously traumatized. I just don't know if I am over-reacting. I seem to be making it worse by chasing after her to ensure she is ok. She is definitely not herself.

Hi again, Stefania.

If she is not eating or drinking much, she may not have to go. Then again, she may be having trouble urinating and/or defecating.

I don't think you're overreacting. She went through a trauma and you don't know what happened to her. The very first thing is to have her seen by a vet. If she doesn't seem to be in any distress, you can wait until the morning and bring her to a vet who's open on Sundays or to an Emergency vet center for evaluation and treatment, if needed. Make sure to include all the details of what happened to her, and how she has been acting since she's back.

Don't chase after her. Just try to keep an eye on where she goes. You can close all bedroom, closet and bathroom doors and leave your bedroom door open, in case she wants to sleep with you. Block off the under bed space.

If you feel her symptoms are worsening and/or you want to take her to an ER vet center now, definitely do that I agree that she needs to be checked out in person by a vet as soon as possible, as I mentioned in my first answer. It may take her a while to get over this trauma, and the vet may prescribe a calming medication that will help, but that's for you to discuss with the vet.

Please keep me posted on how she's coming along and what the vet tells you. Thanks!
My best thoughts are with you and Bastet tonight!

Warmest regards,
Cher

I am taking her into the vet first thing in the morning. Thank you so much for your help.

Hi Stefania,

I'm glad to hear you'll be bringing her into the vet first thing in the morning! That's the best decision.

You're most welcome for the help and please, when you have a chance, update me on how she's doing and what the vet's findings are? Thanks so much. I'm concerned for her.

Try to have a good night.

Warmest wishes for you both,
Cher
Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist