Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

Hi, I have a nearly 5 month old kitten that has just been neutered

while simultaneously having an umbilical...
Hi, I have a nearly 5 month old kitten that has just been neutered while simultaneously having an umbilical hernia repaired. I was told to keep an eye out for behaviors such as extremely wild playing, jumping etc. The only way I could do that was to go without sleep from last friday until this coming monday and stop him from getting too rough. I suffer from sleep apnea as well as insomnia without using ambien and I have type 2 diabetes in which my blood glucose levels go through the roof without a sufficient amount of sleep. If I am not healthy my cat suffers as well. For the last few days he had been very active. I have kept him confined in a room at night in which there is little room for him to engage in extremely rough play. I make sure that in that room he has basic needs,food water, litter box, toys, and a place to comfortably sleep as well as scratching posts. Here is here is the problem. He (Severus) has been very playful and active up until today. I was told that if his play got too rough, he could tear the internal stitches done on the hernia repair and he could bleed internally. As of today, instead of being as playful as he has been, he has been reluctant to come when called, eats as if skeptical about his food, and does not drink as much water as normal. He has spent more time sleeping today than I am used to seeing and he seems to be trying to avoid me. Could his behavior today be a result of possible internal bleeding? I need to get a better idea of whether or not to take him to an emergency animal clinic or if I would be okay to wait until tomorrow.
8/30/2013
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian

Hi Nicole, I'm Dr. Deb. I will do my best to assist you today.
I'm sorry for your health concerns as well as this worry about Severus.

I do have a few questions to ask about him first, if you don't mind:

1. Can you tell me the color of his gums?
2. Do you have a rectal thermometer so you could take his temperature (although I do know this is somewhat difficult to do in a cat)?
3. What does his incision look like?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

The color of his gums appears to be the bright pink I am assuming that is normal in cats as it is in humans. Unfortunately do not have a rectal thermometer. As for the incision, it looks okay to me, it looks the same color as it would if you were to just shave his fur off and do nothing else. There is no redness it does not seem to be swelling, and he does not show any signs of a fever. He IS now drinking little water here and there and he IS eating cat treats in small servings. The big bowl of food that I left for him in that room a few days ago is not as low on food level as it would normally be.

Nicole:
Thanks so much for the answers to my questions and the additional information.

Yes, the color of the gums in a cat should be approximately the same color as in a human; pink is a good, normal color. If he were bleeding a significant amount of blood internally, then I would expect the color to be paler or closer to white so I don't think this is likely.
And, the fact that the incision looks normal with no redness or inflammation is also good.
Some cats with mild fevers will become more reclusive, lethargic and have disinterest in food so this might be a possible explanation for his behavior. If you can manage to get your hands on a thermometer and take his temperature, then you could determine if this is the problem or not; normal is between 100 and 102.5.

But to answer your original question, from the information you've provided, I do not think an ER visit is necessary tonight. If he's still lethargic tomorrow and his appetite is not what it should be, then I would have your vet take a look at him.
Some cats will have an "off" day or so and hopefully, this is all that's going on with him.
I hope this helps and that he bounces back to his normal self quickly...although keeping him from overdoing it if he does will still be a challenge. Deb

Is it possible that his mood will fluctuate due to the lack of testosterone? Klnd of like when I had my hysterectomy, where I was in a good mood one day and more reclusive the next due to the insufficient amount of hormones. If this is the case, should I expect this for his entire life?

Nicole:
I suppose just about anything is possible but in this case, I don't think an insufficient hormone is likely to explain his symptoms.
First, he's young to have very much circulating testosterone.
And, second, it would take longer than a week for it to disappear from his body even if he did have a large amount.

No, he shouldn't be moody for the rest of his life. Other than a tendency to put on a little weight (since hormones can help with weight control), you shouldn't see any personality or behavioral changes of this sort. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Nicole:

I just wanted to thank you for the rating and bonus; it's greatly appreciated.

I also wanted to wish you the best with Severus.

I hope you'll keep me posted about him. Even though you've rated, we can still continue to communicate. I can also send you a follow up email in a few days to which you can respond when you have the time to do so.

Kindly ignore the request for additional information. Regards, Deb

Nicole:
I'm just following up on our conversation about Severus. How is he doing? Deb

Severus is doing great. Thank you. His ten day period of having to be careful of how aggressive his play is over and he seems to be doing well.

NIcole:
That's wonderful! Thanks for letting me know:) Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian