Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

The vet did a necropsy of my cat and couldnt find a cause

The vet did a necropsy of my cat and couldn't find a cause for his death. no trauma. organs fine, other than they were a bit light colored (beginning of auto-immune disease?)
He was almost 7 years old and in fine health. He was an inside/outside cat, and didn't come home one night. I found him the next morning curled up under the front balcony. He was of a heatly weight; climbing trees the day before. He was hungry that last morning and came up to me to get "love" before I went to work. I should have paid the $850 for the better necropsy but didnt. The vet said this happened to a 2 year old golden retriever once - no cause - not explainable. their best guess was an aneurysm or a stroke. Do you have any other ideas?
Hello, and welcome.

My name isXXXXX am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction. First of all sorry to hear about your loss, this must have been very upsetting for you and seven years of age is still very young.

I can tell you that this sort of situation is very rare indeed, where there is no obvious cause of death at a simple post mortem. But it does occur sometimes, as a rough estimate I used to see such unexplainable sudden death cases around once every couple of years in my busy three vet practice.

The only way you would find out for sure is to have had the very thorough post mortem carried out but of course that would not have brought Smokey back, and I do not blame you in the least for not going down that path because of the expense.

However in my experience most cases of sudden deaths like this in cats would be related to some form of undiscovered heart or circulatory system disease, perhaps a stroke or thrombus as your vet says.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott