Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My cat is super anxious and scared of everything and everybody,

including my two year old...
My cat is super anxious and scared of everything and everybody, including my two year old. The slightest change distresses him and he will spend several nights yowling and wandering around the house keeping everyone awake (such as when I purchased a new bed and he could no longer climb into the box springs). I will be moving in a few weeks and would like to keep him as stress free as possible, and I would definitely love for him not to keep my son awake all night. Any tricks or suggestions? I can't even get him to the vet since he gets so hysterical. And the pheremone sprays/wall itomizers do not seem to have any effect. I don't want to have to get rid of him, but I do wonder if he would be happier in a one-person home. I had another cat who died a few years ago and he has gotten progressively worse since then, but I am not interested in getting another cat right now. Thank you in advance
8/2/2013
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hello, Anne and welcome!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

I'm sorry Skat is having this problem.

Has he always been like this, or is the howling at night and being anxious/afraid of everything something recent?

Can you tell me which herbal supplements and pheromone sprays you have tried so far?

Thanks for all your additional detail.
Cher

Hi Cher. Skat has always been very anxious, nervous, etc. The howling happens whenever something sets him off - it is not new. Moving, birth of my son, new bed, etc. It has gotten worse as he has gotten older though. I don't remember the name of the herbal supplement - it was a liquid to put in his water. I've tried Feliway and a generic pheremone spray. I've also tried a lavendar spray. He's the sweetest cat, so if I could find some way to make this new transition easier for him, that would be great. Even better if i could find him help long term. Thank you

Hi again, Anne and thanks very much for your helpful reply.

The herbal supplement was probably Rescue Remedy for Pets. This usually works for stressed cats but if they're very anxious, like Skat, it probably wasn't strong enough. Feliway is also a very good product, but again, due to his frequent high anxiety level, unfortunately, not of much use. In this case, although I always to prefer leaving this as a last resort, it might be a good idea to have him evaluated by his vet and ask for a prescription anti-anxiety medication. There are several that are effective and since your vet knows Skat best, XXXXX XXXXX know what to prescribe.

However, because of his age (he's now a 'senior'), he should have a routine senior blood panel run, including a thyroid test, because hyperthyroidism is more prevalent in older cats and one of the symptoms can be hypervocalization--crying/howling more, especially at night. If this is found to be the case, this condition is manageable with medication. Diabetes and liver/kidney issues are also more prevalent in senior cats so the blood work at the vet will prove useful to make sure Skat is fine, or if he shows signs of any underlying medical condition, it will be treated. If getting him to the vet is too difficult, you can have a Mobile or Housecall Vet come to you. Look in your Yellow Pages under 'Veterinarians' for listings with 'Mobile' or 'Housecalls' in them.

Some cats are very calm by nature and others are very skittish and don't take kindly to change. Of course, Skat fits into the latter category and the best way to help him is to try to keep continuity in the household (I know the impending move will be rough on him, but you can try the medication your vet advises). Also, if you don't already have one, get a tall kitty condo or cat tree so he can feel safe high up and in the 'hidey holes' some of these come with.

Take an old t-shirt or other piece of old clothing with your scent on it and place it in his cat bed or any favorite sleeping place. This will help to calm him, having your scent near.

If you haven't tried Composure liquid or treats yet, give them a try. They are also over the counter oral calming remedies available in pet stores and online.

A calming pheromone collar is also available in pet stores. This may be of help to Skat. Here are more details: Calming Collar You don't have to order online from this site, but look for it in the store.

I hope all will be well with Skat and good luck with your move!

If you need any additional information or clarification, simply 'Reply' back before rating and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions.

If you found my answer helpful, a Positive rating and Positive feedback on the survey, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laughing

If you would like to request me to answer any new, future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher Only" and I will respond as soon as possible.

Warmest regards,
Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Hi again,

I just wanted to add this link, for you to search for vets who can come to you, if necessary:
http://www.homevets.org/

Best regards,
Cher
Hi again, Anne and thanks very much for your positive rating; it is truly appreciated.

I hope all goes well with Skat and the move, and you're able to keep him calm enough to get settled into the new place. If you're able, please let me know how things are going once you move. Thanks!

Best regards,
Cher

PS: no additional information is needed at this time; this is simply a 'thank you'! : )

Thank you, Cher. I appreciate the thoroughness of your response.

Anne

You're most welcome, Anne and thank you for your kind words.

It's my pleasure to be of help to you and Skat.

Please feel free to request me by name (just type 'For Cher Only') for any future questions.

Have a great day!

Best regards,
Cher
Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist