Lately my 1 yr old ragdoll has been hiding behind the living room sofa during the day. My work routine has not changed,

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Lately my 1 yr old ragdoll has been hiding behind the living room sofa during the day. My work routine has not changed, and typically he is waiting on his 6 foot kitty tower to greet me as soon as I come home. Now he doesnt come out for hours, or until I go behind the sofa to get him. I am very upset because he is a very loveable cat, and as soon as I take him out--he is his usual playful self. There have been no changes in his eating or litter box habits. I try to spend as much time with him as possible, but unfortunately he is unable to sleep in our bedroom due to my husband's allergies. The only time I can bond with Mittens is in the morning before work, & when I'm home at night. Ragdolls are supposed to be extemely affectionate. Do you have any suggestions, or explanations for his hiding?
Answered by reanih in 26 mins 9 years ago
imglogo
reanih
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi there!

The chat function was not working for some reason so I hope you don't mind this way. I am concerned for your boy as a hiding cat usually means that they are in pain or otherwise not feeling well. My first reaction would be to have him checked at the vet for something common such as a urinary infection.

Are there any other changes, such as a lack of appetite, frequent trips to the litterbox? Is he drinking as normal? Any small changes could indicate something and give us something to go on other than the hiding.

The only other thing is if there was some sort of scary or traumatic (for him) event that occurred at the times he is hiding. Maybe a new to him dishwasher or washing machine running? anything at all that he may not like the sound of?

I hope these ideas help. Assuming that there have been no changes to the home or scary events, I would start with a vet appointment. If he stops eating that indicates an emergency as this can damage the liver in as little as 2 days.....

Please keep me posted and let me know if you think of anything at all that may help give us something to go on.

Warmest Wishes,

Reani

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
reanih
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
reanih
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.