Happy Monday Reanih, My question today is about my cat, Tigger. He is having an issue with scratching excessively, and

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Happy Monday Reanih,
My question today is about my cat, Tigger. He is having an issue with scratching excessively, and under his chin gets the most of it. He has no fleas, I have removed all plastic food and water dishes (as I understand some cats are allergic to plastic). I tried WELLNESS Grain-free food, but there was something else in the food that actually made his scratching worse. I have gone back to the regular WELLNESS brand dry food and NATURAL BALANCE brand dry food combination. I like holistic brands but I may have to go back to SCIENCE DIET sensitive skin if I can't find one that works for him. As far as medication goes, I tried to give him an oral prescription of Atopica but he hated it and was starting to hate me (and he has always been my "Mama's boy" and lap kitty), so I had to give that up so that I could mend our relationship.
So my next option is something topical. Is there anything I can put under his chin or maybe bath him in to calm the itching?
Answered by reanih in 17 hours 9 years ago
imglogo
reanih
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

I'm Camille, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. Unfortunately I do not know when this may be, as the professionals come on line as they are available. You don't have to stand by, you will get an email telling you when you have received a response. If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

Best,

Camille

Customer

Do you need more information from me?

HI, No, we have enough info for your professional to help you. Thank you for being so patient! I hope it won't be too much longer.

Camille

Hi There!

It sounds like you are doing everything right! I am going to see if one of the other experts may have an idea I am not thinking of....stand by, and thanks for your patience!

Ok,

Topically, you can wipe his chin with a stridex pad, and then apply plain Neosporin three times a day. Discontinue all dry food and feed a natural canned formula such as Halo...if this does not help within a couple of weeks, we should explore further...hopefully this will remedy the situation! I do appreciate your patience, please keep us posted!

Warmest Wishes,

Reani

Customer

Reani,

Thank you for the suggestion about the Neosporin, I'll definitely try that. I was wondering if a supplement like fish oil or flaxseed oil could be added to his food? In reading the ingredients on the dry food packages, I see that there already is omega 3s and omega 6s already in the food, would it help his skin if I added a few drops into his wet food?

I would try one at a time just so you can tell what has helped. If you try both at the same time you will not know which one worked. That said it can only help..so you can try it. I would start with the neopaoirin so he can feel some relief quickly. I hope that helps, please keep me posted!
Customer

Reani,

Thank you for your continued support and advice. The Neosporin helped right away and I also started Tigger, and my other 3 cats, on a fish oil and borage oil supplement by Ark Naturals called Omega Mender! Itch Ender! I mix 1/8 tsp in their wet food twice daily, to start. It is supposed to help with all sorts of skin problems (excessive shedding, dry skin, constant licking and scratching, slow wound healing, etc). I'll let you know if this does the trick, it might be helpful to others.

Nancy

Thank you for the update! I hope that the improvement continues!

Very glad to hear!

Warmest Wishes,

Reani

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
reanih
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
reanih
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.