Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

Hello, My co-worker/owner runs a pet grooming shop. She took

Hello, My co-worker/owner runs...
Hello, My co-worker/owner runs a pet grooming shop. She took in a cat that turned out to be pregnant. The cat had 3 kittens and she wants to find homes for them. She has 2 left to home. She would like me to take one. As much as I would like one I don't think it's a good idea with my other 2 resident cats. Both black domestic one female 3 years and one male 16 years. How do you think my adults cats would respond and treat the kitten? The kittens will be 5 weeks old.
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/11/2013
Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

Adding a new cat to the household can be difficult for some cats and for others it does not go so easy. There really is no way to know for sure how it is going to go until you try.

What you may want to consider is trying it out for a week or two and seeing how things go. Just tell her that if things do not go well then you will have to give it back for her to rehome.I would also want to have the kitten checked out by a vet , tested for feline leukemia and feline aids and have the vet deem the kitten healthy before bringing it in to your home.

I will give you something that would be helpful if you opt to try.
Some things you can do to help are.
* Get some Feliway plug ins to use around the house especially in rooms where the cats spend the most time. These plug ins release cat calming pheromones and are very helpful in these cases.

* Composure chews can be used a few times daily . With these treats you can safely double the recommend amount for cats who are overly stressed.
Click here for theses treats

* For 20 minutes twice daily engage the cats in play trying to get the original kitties involved as well as the new one. Fishing pole toys and laser pointers work great for this .Make sure there are plenty of interactive toys for the little one so it does not bug the resident cats to much.
Here are some toys that work great to keep kittens busy.
Click here for a hands free laser
Other toys that work well are the panic mouse and or a remote controlled mouse.
Click here for the panic mouse .
The fling ama string is great
Click here
Click the links below for other toys that will get her moving
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
Link 4
Link 5

Look for toys that are timer controlled so you can set these for when you are not home . The trick is going to be giving a variety so the kitten does not get bored and switch then out every few days never give access to all at the same time.
Link 1
Link 2

* Put a collar with a bell on the new kitty. This gives the other cats warning that this kitty is coming so they can not be shuck up on.

You will find different opinions on whether to separate them for the first few days. I personally do not recommended this if the kitten is deemed healthy by your vet as I think it takes longer to integrate them. If you want to keep them separate for now that is fine but put a baby gate at the door of the room he is in and try feeding both him and the other cats on opposite sides of the gate . This way they can see and smell each other but not get to each other. Some owners find they have to use two baby gate one above the other to keep the cats from jumping over it

Whether to add another kitty is completely your decision and do not let her sway you and many people find that they regret getting a new pet because someone pushed.

I hope this helps give you some things to think about. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy

Both my cats are stand off cats. They don't really care for each other just tolerate each other and they don't fight which I am thankful for. They are not cuddle type cats and I cannot pick them up and hold them. I believe my senior would be mad and felt put upon, and my younger one seems like she would definitely be jealous and not tolerant of having to compete for me. When I got Eve, Squirt was not happy and I knew he was jealous when I first got her. Now he is ok and just being tolerant. Given their dispositions do you think either one would hurt the kitten? My friend doesn't pressure me and I don't think I'm going to try it and I'd be afraid they might hurt the kitten. Brenda

Thank you for the additional information. I do not know for sure if they would hurt the kitten but because they are standoffish I would be more concerned about them developing behavior issues like going out of the litter box or they could even stop eating due to the stress.
With this new information I think you should follow your instinct knowing your cats as well as you do and pass on this little one. Perhaps you could help her find a suitable home for one of them
Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Candy R.
Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician