petdrz
petdrz, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My cat has a scab on the skin in front of his ear. He seems

My cat has a scab on the skin in front of his ear. He seems to be scratching it a lot.

Dr Z :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

Dr Z :

That spot is a common spot for a cat to scratch when they have allergies. Is this the first time you have noted a lesion like this on him?

Customer:

Yes, first time.

Dr Z :

Is he allowed outdoors or is he an indoor cat only?

Customer:

Indoor only although the litter box is in the garage. He also likes to sleep there since it is dark and quiet.

Dr Z :

Are his ears red or is there any discharge coming out of them that you can see?

Customer:

No redness or discharge, and no odor like I would expect if he had mites. He also let me touch and clean the area so it seems like there is little if any pain.

Dr Z :

How long has this been going on? Is he scratching anywhere else?

Customer:

Just a few days. No excessive scratching elsewhere.

Dr Z :

It would be ok to clean the area and apply a small dab of a topical antibiotic cream such as Neosporin for a few days since this just started.

Dr Z :

If the scratching or the scabs continue, I would have him examined and make sure your vet examines his ears with an otoscope to see all the way down to the ear drum.

Customer:

What do you suggest to use to clean it? I used saline solution and a cotton ball but I wonder if there is a better way.

Dr Z :

You could use some hydrogen peroxide and then follow up with the neosporin.

Dr Z :

It may just be a localized irritation. It would be odd for a 12 year old cat to first manifest with allergies at this age.

Customer:

He's actually 18.

Customer:

I will try dabbing with peroxide instead.

Dr Z :

Yes, that is good. If not improving, have your vet check his ears. Scabs, as you describe are often a sign of an ear infection.

Customer:

Okay.

Dr Z :

There are other forms of skin conditions that it could be and should be investigated if not healing. Infections (bacterial or fungal) and even skin cancers can manifest with scabs and itch, but chances are if you clean it up and use a topical, it may clear up on it's own.

Customer:

That's good to know!

Dr Z :

Is there anything else I can answer for you today?

Customer:

That's all. Thank you. Wasn't sure if this was a "take him to the vet ASAP" situation or not.

Dr Z :

I would give it a few days, but if not improving, I would have him evaluated.

Customer:

Great, thank you.

Dr Z :

Please keep me posted as to how things progress.

Customer:

I will. Thanks again for the information.

Dr Z :

You are welcome.

Thank you kindly for the positive rating. It is truly appreciated.