Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years owning a dog and cat veterinary practice. President of an animal emergency clinic
1348006

I have two Manx Kitten a male and female pet stock neutered

I have two Manx Kitten a male and female pet stock neutered and spayed 11mths old. They came from a breeder out of state and were born on a chicken farm. their health history showed they'd been wormed six times by the time I received them and when I got them they had worms. Treated them. they've had vet care and are treated for fleas and their fecals are negatives ...still have blood in their stools. not every time but enough that when they sit down afterwards they leave a little puddle the size of a dime. worrisome. Lots of energy, bright eyes , great coats pink gums. The " food allergy" answer makes me frustrated because it is so generic. I need a plan so I'm not spending a fortune groping in the dark

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

Hi. I'm Dr. Gotthelf. I have been a vet for 35 years and I would like to use my experience to help you with your pet's medical problem.

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

While food allergies and certain worms are often the cause of blood in the stools, usually it is straining to poop that causes them to break blood vessels. You did not indicate if they are having diarrhea or loose stools.

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

Sometimes cats get other types of intestinal parasites like coccidia and giardia. Some medications, like ponazuril or metronidazole can be used to these types of parasites. Have these been used.

Customer:

their stool is soft...tends toward loose

Customer:

yes used both of those

Customer:

both of the kittens have had two negative stools so my vet said we should stop looking at " bugs" I was hoping they would grow out of this it has been three months

Customer:

I sorry it says waiting for customer response and I not sure what I'm supposed to do after I hit reply

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

Then it may be a dietary sensitivity. That is fairly common in young cats. There is a food called Hills Prescription Diet z/d that can be fed for 4-6 weeks to see if it is a food allergy. Cats love it. This food uses hydrolyzed protein rather than intact protein. If you think of a cotton ball in a 3 dimensional structure, that is how the immune system within the intestines recognizes foreign proteins. If you took the cotton ball (food protein) and chopped it up into millions of little pieces, it would still have the same chemical components (amino acids), but the pieces are too small for the immune system to recognize and react against.

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

If you feed this to both kitties for 6 weeks and their stool firms up, then it is most likely a food allergy. If it does not, then it is something else.

Customer:

Okay can my older cat eat the z/d and does it come in dry?

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

Another useful drug to use is diphenoxylate and atropine anti-diarrheal drops. What this does is to take away the straining, which causes the blood to show up in the stool. It causes the stool to stay in the kitties longer so more water is absorbed from the stool and it firms up. You will need to talk to your vet about this because it is a narcotic medication.

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

Yes, z/d comes in dry. It is complete and balanced so all of the cats can eat it.

Customer:

You rock! it may seem common sense to you but just a rational directed care plan is such a relief.

Customer:

Thanks

Hi Cheryl,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sookie And Sam. How is everything going?

Dr. Louis Gotthelf