Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My cat is a 14 year-old Himalayan Siamese who absolutely howls

My cat is a 14 year-old Himalayan Siamese who absolutely howls prior to attempts to move his bowels. The stools looks normal when it finally appears. Within minutes, however, he also vomits, usually a combination of fur, food, and bile. I have checked for indications of worms and do not see any externally.
At all other times, he behaves well, is in a fantastic mood, and very affectionate.
I suspect hemorrhoids. What are your recommendations?
Thank you.

RebeccaVet :

RebeccaVet :

Thank you for asking about Riley.

RebeccaVet :

How long has he been doing this?

RebeccaVet :

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

RebeccaVet :

Hemorrhoids only happen in humans. They are enlargements of veins in the rectum, and cats do not these veins, so hemorrhoids and not something we see in cats.

RebeccaVet :

However, cats have anal glands, in the rectum, just inside the anus, and they do become inflamed and painful. So having these anal glands checked is something I would do for him. You can't see them, only feel them inside the rectum.

RebeccaVet :

Even if the stool looks normal, a stool softener might help. You could try adding canned pumpkin or sweet potato to his food, or sprinkling MiraLax ( available over the counter) on his food.

RebeccaVet :

Having his anal glands checked and emptied is where I would start, if this were my cat.

RebeccaVet :

I am not seeing responses from you. Sometimes this chat does not work for everyone, or on all devices.

RebeccaVet :

I will try to connect with you another way, if I do not hear from you soon.

RebeccaVet :

I guess you can't see what I am writing. I will try another format to try to reach you.

Michelle,
I hope you can see what I am writing now.

Please let me know what else I can help with, or answer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can you view my typing now?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I appreciate your advice. Would you please share your thoughts on how the vomiting is connected to the stool concern? I can see everything you're typing, and apologize you can't see my responses.

It is not unusual for cats to vomit with difficult or painful defecation. It seems to make them nauseous when they have to push hard to get stool out.

I would try the stool softeners, and have his glands checked at your earliest convenience.

Let me know what else I can answer.

Sorry the chat format did not work, not your fault. It just happens sometimes.

Thank you for the great rating!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Don't know where you're located, but wish you were close! You made me feel much better, and hopefully, soon Riley will, too!

World's. Best. Cat!

Thanks, Rebecca!

You are welcome!

I am in Santa Fe, NM, US

Hello Michelle,
How is Riley doing?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

SO much better! I started him on MiraLax in a slice of shaved turkey and within 24 hours I had a brand new cat.

My son suggested Metamucil prior to my contacting you, and I told him he was nuts... guess who thinks he should be a vet now?

Thank you so much for everything. It's nice to have a cat in the house again instead of a possessed furball. Have a wonderful Friday and weekend. I hear it's rather warm in your part of the country.

Michelle

Michelle,
Thank you for the update. Glad he is doing better.