Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

Help

Help
6/20/2013
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Hello and welcome .

My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me as much information as you think relevant about Sid's problem today. Then allow me fifteen minutes or so to think through your particular question, prepare an answer, and then type things up. I will then get back to you and we can then talk things over ...

Regards,

Scott
My mom came came down this morning and noticed that my cat who is an outdoor cat mainly but he is an indoor cat during the day, his right side of his jaw was swollen
Hello again Sarah and thanks for the quick reply.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think, ... lets get started.

Well it is possible this is something serious, perhaps Sid has been in some sort of car accident and hurt his jaw for example. However the good news is that given the fact he spends time outdoors the most likely diagnosis would be a cat bite abscess, and most of these are very minor and easily resolved conditions.

These can come up very quickly but the original bite may have happened a few days ago. You see cats are not the most sociable of creatures and they are prone to fighting, their canine teeth are long and sharp and covered with pyogenic [ pus forming ] bacteria. In fact when one cat bites another cat and really sinks its teeth in you can expect an abscess to form as a matter of course and this is more than likely what has happened in Sid's case. These can present as quite large swellings often on the face but also sometimes elsewhere on the body.

The usual treatment for a cat bite abscess would be a weeks course of antibiotics although some may need lancing and flushing out under anesthesia as well. This does mean a visit to your vet but in most cases it would not be an acute emergency and could usually wait until the next regular hours consult.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
How much are the antibiotics? He doesn't take medicine very well. Could the vet give him a shot?
Hello again Sarah,

Glad to talk this over with you further.

Well antibiotics vary in price but they are prescription drugs so it is likely that your vet will not be able to sell them over the counter but will want to check Sid over. This is no bad thing though because the vet will of course confirm the diagnosis and make sure you are doing the right thing.

The cost would then include a consult fee as well as the antibiotics, as I say costs can vary so the best thing to do is to check this out with the vet's office first.

Sure antibiotics can be given as one injection, many cats are so difficult to give tablets to!

Regards,

Scott
Hello again Sarah,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Kindest regards and good luck with Sid ... ,

Scott
Hello again Sarah,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Sid is getting on.

How are things going with him now?

Regards,

Scott