Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years owning a dog and cat veterinary practice. President of an animal emergency clinic
1348006

For the past 8 months, I have been treating my 19 year old

For the past 8 months, I have been treating my 19 year old cat for constipation successfully with .25 ml of 10 mg/ml suspension of Cisapride with 1/4 teaspoon of Miralax in a tablespoon of ice cream every night. Originally, we used Lactalose but had mixed results. 2 weeks ago, he wouldn't eat his ice cream 2 nights in a row, but resumed eating his ice cream normally after 2 nights. However, his BM are not as good and are further apart then they had been. However, his behavior is normal. What do I do now? Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

Hi. I'm Dr. Gotthelf. I have been a vet for 33 years and I would like to use my experience to help you with your pet's medical problem.

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

Most older cats with constipation problems respond well to 1 tablespoon of mineral oil (not vegetable oil) added to the diet daily. It is not digestible and so it stays in the digestive system and puts a slippery coating of oil on the stool. Old cats lose the ability to contract parts of their bowel and, when they are on mineral oil, when the good part of the intestine contracts, it really helps the stool move across the part of the bowel that is not contracting.

Customer:

He eats dry cat food. How can I slip this into his food unknowingly--he's very clever. What about Lax-eze--it seems to take less

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

You can mix it with his dry food. It has no flavor. You can also squirt it into his mouth a little at a time. I( would not recommend Lax-Ease as it is not an intestinal lubricant.