How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger L. Welton, DVM Your Own Question
Roger L. Welton, DVM
Roger L. Welton, DVM, Veterinarian
Category: Cat
Satisfied Customers: 1452
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian, Practice Owner, and Book Author
Type Your Cat Question Here...
Roger L. Welton, DVM is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My cat lives outside(my husband is allergic to cats) and he

This answer was rated:

My cat lives outside(my husband is allergic to cats) and he has something on the outside of both ears thathas now spread tohis nose and a spot on his back. It looks like some kind of fungus but seems to be eating awayhis ears. I cannot get him to hold still(I tried some people anti-fungus ointment, buthe wouldn't let me) I could not get himin a c arrier to take him to a vet andhe would not be treatale when there. Is there anything I can do?


You are correct that there is a good bet that your cat has a fungus...specifically ringworm. This could be potentially bad news in cats where there are multiple affected sites like this. If this were ringworm, at this stage, topical therapy alone would not suffice, even if your cat would accept this point, he would need to be treated with the oral antifungal griseofulvin. Treating him twice a day every day, would clearly require a temporary life style change where he is kept indoors (perhaps in a garage) where he can be approached and consistently treated every day for 2-3 weeks.

Another possibility for your cat's distribution of skin lesions is mange, a mite parasite that burrows deep into the skin and leads to lesions similar to what you are describing for your kitty. This also would require treatment, but luckily can be treated in most cases with an injection every 2 weeks for 3 treatments.

Unfortunately, there is likely no way around this other than getting your kitty to the veterinarian. As far as catching him, most feed stores and farm equipment stores sell cat traps that you can leave food in to try to trap him so you can take him in. You can also simply try using a small kennel and leaving food in it (but in this case, you would have to watch it and shut the door once he is in).

Once at the vet, he should have a skin scraping to check for mange, as well as a fungal culture to check for ringworm, then treated accordingly.

Roger L. Welton, DVM and 2 other Cat Specialists are ready to help you