Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat is sneezing a lot but he is eating. I've been reading

Customer Question

My cat is sneezing a lot but he is eating. I've been reading that he could have an infection. Although he is his regular self...no lethargy he is eating and drinking normally and playing. His eyes are not watery but he sneezes more than usual. anything i can do to help him?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 5 years ago.

Hi there

I am sorry your boy is not feeling well.

How long is he sneezing?
Has he been exposed to other cats?
Is he UTD on his shots?
Is he an indoor kitty?

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It started a day ago. and comes in 3s. he swipes at his nose. I tried looking at his nostrils but its black so its hard to tell.

He is not exposed to any other cats.
He is UTD on his shots....earlier this year as a matter of fact.
He is totally an indoor kitty but on nice days he sits on the deck with us.
Lately, in NYC that has not been the case. its been raining...and cold.
Expert:  Terri replied 5 years ago.

Dear friend,

I am sorry he is having trouble.

This can be an upper respiratory infection, an allergy or he may have hit his nose or inhaled something like grass or dust.

He may have cat flu. This is analogous to our common cold.It is an airborne virus so no direct contact is necessary

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/feline_upper_respiratory.html

All cats carry upper respiratory virus on their own fur. Cats that live together become immune to the carried strain but as soon as the bacterium is exposed to another cat it will infect them. If this baby was indirectly exposed to other cats he likely contracted it from them or stress.

Feed him very odorous food so he can smell it and will keep eating. If he gets dehydrated, give him a few droppers of unflavored pedialyte throughout the day to hydrate him and balance his electrolytes.You can also offer tuna water drained from the can

He can have an OTC called clortrimeton - a quarter of a ten tablet once a day if he is congested. Or benedryl @ one mg per lb every 12 hours Both work for allergies as well.

You can use little noses pediatric nose drops if his nose is stuffy.

You can also take him in a steamy bathroom where you have run a hot shower to break it up. If he develops any colored mucus that means the infection has turned bacterial and will respond to an antibiotic.Some vets script one even if it is viral to prevent secondary infections like pneumonia.He should be seen if he refuses to eat or gets any worse.

Please let me know how he is feeling. If you get worried I will always be here to help further.Just press reply anytime to talk further.

I hope he feels better very soon.

Very sincerely,

Terri

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She can have an OTC called clortrimeton - a quarter of a ten tablet once a day if she is congested. Or benedryl @ one mg per lb every 12 hours Both work for allergies as well

The medications you mention above (cut and pasted here) are these human meds? or should I get these from the pet store for pets?

Thank you.
Expert:  Terri replied 5 years ago.

You are very welcome.It is my pleasure to help someone as wonderful as you!

Yes, these are human meds available in any drugstore.

Heres a link:
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/diphenhydramine-benadryl/page1.aspx

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/chlorpheniramine-maleate-chlor-trimeton/page1.aspx

If he weighs over ten lbs give him one half of a 25 mg benedryl tablet. I would stay away from the liquid because it can cause drooling.

Best wishes for him,

Terri

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you I will try one of these today.
Expert:  Terri replied 5 years ago.

Thank you very much for your accept and generous bonus. It is quite appreciated.

Keep in mind he may have banged his nose or inhaled something that is annoying him.

So keep an eye on him for any discharge.

Please let me know how he is doing.

There is no charge for follow-up so I am sending this as an info request.

Warm regards,

Terri

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You are welcome. So last night I tried to give him the benadryl crushed up in his canned food which he loves. No dice. He will not eat it. I think before the smell hit him he ate a small bit, very small. I took a hot shower and put him in the shower with me. The sneezing seems to have eased up. Instead of 3s its only one sneeze and not as often. I am hoping to wait it out for one more day...then if its not going anywhere I will take him to the Vet. Again, he is eating and behaving normally. He just won't eat his canned food with the meds in it. Any suggestions??

Thank you.
Expert:  Terri replied 5 years ago.

As long as he is eating well, his own immune system should knock out the upper respiratory infection.He does not really need any meds. In fact, since Uri's are viral, antibiotics are only given to prevent secondary infections.

As I said yesterday, he may have just inhaled a little bug or piece of grass.

Continue with the steamy bathroom visits, warm his food as it makes it smellier (which cats love) and keep him on canned food.

Please let me know how he is feeling later today.

Sending as an info request so you are not charged again

Best wishes for him,

Terri

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Good Morning.

He is still eating but this morning on his white eye (half of his face is black and the other is white) the lid all around looks a little red. He is not sneezing as much and he is eating. Even warmed he did not touch his canned food with the benadryl. So I didn't bother to give it to him. I am considering taking him to the Vet today that is as soon as I come back from my Dr's visit.

I have three daughters and they love our Lenox sooo much that they are worried about him too. I can let you know later what the Vet says if you want me to.

Thanks again.
Expert:  Terri replied 5 years ago.

Awww poor baby! The third eyelid appears in times of pain, illness or stress.

Please do let me know what the vet says about Lenox, I really care!

Hugs and love for him,

Terri

Expert:  Terri replied 5 years ago.
Please let me know how your boy is feeling. I hope he is all better.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry was a bit caught up with some stuff. He is on antibiotics and and eye cream. He looks like he is starting to feel like himself again. I feel better about the whole deal now. The Dr thinks it might be an Upper Respiratory problem. Lenox is starting to interact with us again so I know is he starting to feel better.

Thanks.
Kim
Expert:  Terri replied 5 years ago.

Hi Kim,

I am happy to hear Lenox is starting to feel a bit better.

You can add 250 mg of l-lysine to his food or water every day to prevent outbreaks of URI complex.

Hugs and love for him,

Terri