Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

How long does it take antibiotics to work in cats? She got

Customer Question
an antibiotic shot on Sunday...
How long does it take antibiotics to work in cats? She got an antibiotic shot on Sunday from the vet. She has had four doses of the prescribed liquid kind since monday. She still is congested, and her eye is running.
I just adopted her. Apparently, she was rescued on the 8th, spayed on the 10th, and I adopted her on the 11th. She picked out her stitches and it got infected, and the vet said that may have caused her other symptoms. (Runny eye on saturday the 12th in the morning, and she started sounding congested by the afternoon). She is 6 months old, and she is my first cat. I love her dearly, and I am just really worried.
Also, do the antibiotics make her tired? she seems tired since she started the antibiotics on sunday.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Cat
11/16/2011
Cat Vet: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 6 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Thanks for the question.

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you the following :

1. In direct answer to your question, how long does it take antibiotics to work in cats? : In an uncomplicated disease situation involving a bacterial infection it would be normal for antibiotics to start to exert their effect in two or three days.

Also, do the antibiotics make her tired? : This would not normally be the case, in fact in uncomplicated bacterial infections the reverse would be true.

2. Where a cat has runny eyes, respiratory tract congestion and lethargy then this is often caused by a viral disease and please understand that antibiotics will not attack the virus directly, they only are effective against bacteria. However in the case of viral infections it is still often good to give antibiotics as they will prevent secondary bacterial infections which will make matters worse. Many viral infections will run their course in one or two weeks as the bodies own defenses spring into action.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
What can I do while I wait for her to feel better? Is there anything I can do to help?
Hello again,

1. If this is cat flu { a viral disease } then many cats in this situation will start to improve in a week or so.

2. The best plan would be to continue with the antibiotics and give your cat a high level of nursing care. Keep her warm comfortable and stress free, keep her drinking and encourage her to eat. If you note any deterioration then get her checked over again ...

Good luck,

Scott.