Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

Is it okay to give my cat a human stool softener He is on

Customer Question
Is it okay to give...
Is it okay to give my cat a human stool softener? He is on 2 ml of lactulose, but has not had a bm since we got home from the vet. He had an enema yesterday, and went a little. He was completely blocked. What else can I do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Cat
7/30/2011
Cat Vet: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 6 years ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Dear friend,

I am so sorry your boy is having trouble.

You can give Wolf milk of magnesia.

You can also use an infant glycerin suppository.

Make sure he does not have a non food item causing the blockage. If it is only stool you should be able to move it through.

If the enema has cleaned him out he is not likely to go now.

The best natural laxative is milk. It should bring on a BM in two hours or less. Older cats are often calcium deficient leading to hard dry stools.

Give him one to three ounces right away.

Most constipation is due to inadequate fluid in the bowel so your baby should eat food with a bit of water added to prevent this in the future.

If he is not diabetic, he can have droppers of unflavored pediayte to hydrate him and balance his electrolytes.

Yes, you can also put vaseline on his paws for him to lick off

The average is one to two bowel movements a day. However, a cat can manage as long as they have a good defecation every other day. Any longer than that and the stool can become toxic in his system.

Most constipation is caused by inadequate fluid and fiber in the colon. A high fiber diet should help as long as she eats it.Never feed Science diet as it not a great food - vets push it because they sell it but there are much better ones.

A natural remedy is canned pumpkin (not pie filling) a teaspoon a day added to her food. Some people also give an ounce of milk daily as most older cats are calcium deficient.There are also several vet scipted drugs like lactulose and cipracide. The problem with laxatives and enemas are the same with humans. These artificial stimulants interfere with the normal peristaltic waves of the intestine and repeated use can cause further constipation, obstipation and even megacolon.

Please refer to the following links and info:

"The causes of constipation and obstipation are many, including diet (ingested hair, foreign bodies, bones); environment (a dirty litter box, lack of exercise, hospitalization); painful defecation (anal abscesses from cat-fight bites or feces- matted hair [long-haired cats are particularly susceptible]); obstructions (tumors and improperly healed pelvic fractures that restrict movement through the intestines); and medications (for other conditions). And watch your cat's weight. Obese cats can become constipated.

Chronic constipation and obstipation from specific causes can result in a distended colon that has poor movement (megacolon). Sometimes, though, megacolon occurs when the muscular movement of the colon wall, which propels fecal material through the colon, diminishes for some unknown reason. As a result, fecal matter comes remains in the colon where it becomes drier and harder. Over time, the enlarged, impacted colon loses most of its muscular ability (motility) and becomes a loose pouch filled with dry, concrete like material. Unfortunately, veterinary science has yet to discover the causes of this condition known as idiopathic megacolon."

Here is the rest of the article:SOURCE:

http://pets1st.ca/articles/00046ConstipationAndYourCat.asp

Here are others I think will be helpful:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_constipation_and_megacolon.html

http://www.petshealth.com/dr_library/felconstip.html

http://marvistavet.com/html/constipation_and_megacolon.html

He should re-see a vet if he does not go two hours after the milk or continues to be in pain

Please let me know how he is doing. I will always be here for both of you.

I hope he feels better very soon.

Sincerest best wishes,

Terri

Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

He is diabetic, I will try he pumpkin, his vet suggested that too. He did not completely clean out with the enema. I will also give him some cream right now.

Thank you for the options!

You are very welcome!

It is my pleasure to "meet" you.

Here is the dosage for milk of magnesia in case you want to try it:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5113261_human-medications-can-give-cat.html

Thank you for your accept.

No charge for follow-up so please let me know how Wolf is doing.

Best wishes for him,

Terri

Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert