Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

The tips of my cats ears are turning black and she is losing

The tips of my cat's ears are turning black and she is losing hair on the tips. She will let us rub her ears and they don't seem to hurt her. What could be going on?

I am so sorry your little one is having trouble.I would love to help I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

Is there black debris in the ear as well?

Is she itching the ears?

Does she go outside?

Does she have white or cream colored ears?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
nothing but a little dirt in ears
she was an inside cat with going outside some each day but now for 2 months she has been an outside cat.
her color on ears are white and light brown
she is a tabby color cat

Thank you for the additional information.

Without doing some testing it would be impossible to say for sure what is going on.There are several things that can cause this problem.

* Ear mites.

http://www.petplace.com/cats/ear-mites-in-cats/page1.aspx

* Fungal or bacterial infection.

* Fly strike which is caused by fly bites on the tips of the ears.

* Ear vasculitis ( more common in dogs but can occur in cats

http://www.dermatologyforanimals.com/vasculitis.html

* If the tips of the ear are white this could be due to sun burn, this can result in skin cancer and in some cases the tips ear needs to be removed.

* This could also be due to fleas so be sure you are using a veterinary approved flea product such as frontline or advantage now that she is spending more time outside.

I hope this helps, please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns

Candy

I would suggest having your vet look at the ears and perhaps do some tests to look for mites, bacteria and fungal infections.

Until you can have her seen I would clean the tips of the ears well and apply neosporin