Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My cat keeps going to the litter box with no pee or only a

My cat keeps going to the litter box with no pee or only a drop or two. I took him to the vet and his urinary test came back almost perfect. NO crystals, no blood, normal PH of 6.5 and nothing else out of the ordinary. He has a small bladder and has been eating a raw food diet for years. The vet says that other than his frequent litter box visits he seems in otherwise great health. If it's behavioural, I am at a loss. Any ideas?

Dr. Andy :

Dr. Andy :

Yes, a few suggestions.

Dr. Andy :

#1 We still can't entirely rule-out a urinary tract infection, even in the absence of blood, white blood cells, or obvious bacteria in the initial urine test. These are good situations for also running a urine culture to be certain the urine does not grow bacteria.

Dr. Andy :

#2 I am highly suspicious for a condition called FLUTD (feline lower urinary tract disease) or FUS (feline urologic syndrome).

Dr. Andy :

We don't know entirely what causes it,although stress is suspected. Cats will appear to have a acute onset of bladder wall inflammation (cystitis) resulting in almost identical symptoms to an infection.

Dr. Andy :

Many of these cats will respond to some pain medication (buprenex from the vet given orally), or even a anti-inflammatory medication.

Dr. Andy :

That's my best guess, and here's some more information about it:

Dr. Andy :

I hope that information is helpful.
If there is anything I have not covered for you, please use the REPLY button, and I will happily continue to chat. I hope you have found my advice helpful or informative. Please remember to inform me if you “accept” or please click the "ACCEPT" button (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIBING MEMBER). It is greatly appreciated

JACUSTOMER-ysmojtyi- :

Is there much risk in treating it as a urinary tract infection - even in the short term to see if things improve? I do not like the idea of getting another urine sample from Oreo, as the last sample was aquired via syringe I believe. Also, his bladder is quite small possibly due to the raw food diet. Our cats rarely drink much water as their main food is quite moist. Certainly less than when they ate crap kibble years ago.

JACUSTOMER-ysmojtyi- :

ANy additional help is appreciated. I have accepted your answer.

JACUSTOMER-ysmojtyi- :

whoops - I WILL accept the answer after your feedback.

Dr. Andy :

Dr. Andy :

Absolutely not. Many doctors, including me, will "empirically" treat for a urinary tract infection just to cover the bases.

Dr. Andy :

I have had plenty of cases where even though no infection was present, the owner is confident that the pet seemed to respond to the antibiotic course. Certainly, some of those cases could have been the FLUTD condition that resolved on its own, but in some cases, the antibiotic very well helped.

Dr. Andy :

Good Luck
When you click "accept" it will close the question for me. It is appreciated.

Dr. Andy :